Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

17 Gth-L snow blower

Ronald Hribar

I have everything back together , extended lift gets blower nice and high. Kohler starts beautifully and charges. have two questions . My snowbloer is a model oo4582. It does not seem to be running fast enough. 17 HP kohler runs so quiet compared to Briggs 16 maybe I'm not running at top rpm. What speed should blower run at? Second question Hydro creeps backwards when in neutral.I looked at linkage, it does not appear to have been damaged by flying driveshaft. Believe adjustment must be with the spring asssembly on shift rod, but could not tell what to loosen. Supposed to be getting test on equipment on Friday night and Sat.

I think I read in another post today that the blower should turn 2800 rpm when the engine is at 3600 rpm. I know there is an adjustment on the hydro, just can't remember how right now. The tranny hookup should be the same as my 716H and 7116H. Try looking up the simplicity manual for that tractor. It should give you the adjustment specs. If you go to Tech Tips and Articles, then read Maynard's post on the manuals, it will tell you how to find the document by tractor name without the document number.

Found post by Maynard on 12/13/2003 . Appears to be simple adjustment. Was in area where I was looking, Just did not realize there was adjustments (2) there. that should take care of creep. Tonight will be taking some Rpm readings of motor and snowblower. If motor reading is less than 3600, is there also simple adjustment? If snowblower speed is too low, I was thinking of replacing 30 tooth sprocket with smaller one. The shaft I believe is 1 inch.

It is easier and cheaper to change Pulley sizes than to change drive sprockets and chain. If you have a 7" driven pulley on your blower the problem most likely is engine speed.

I have chain and sprockets. Pulleys are not as common. But I think you are right, driven pulley is quite large probably 7 inch. In that case it should be smaller to run faster. And I also think engine speed is culprit. 3600 is correct limit, I believe, How much faster could it be run safely, and motor in good condition. 4000?

12 inches of ideal snowblowing snow. Was very impressed going thru 24 inch snow plow bank at end of driveway with no problem. Watching neighbors with small walk benind snowblowers have trouble pushing them thru bank. Did several driveways before stopping for breakfast. Found I have low or flat rear tire. Also need more weight on blower. My lift cables are too short. And have to add weights too front wheels. I do have a new set of ribs sitting on shelf, should have found some rims for them. Was a great day.

Did miss cab when blowing snow and getting face full. Hard time following neighbors curved sidea-walk when you can not see, was also having trouble steering also, need weight on wheels. But in past windshield of cab fogged over. Bought glass front with wiper, but it doesn't fit cab. Will have to make new frame up for it..

Ronald, I bought a hard faced and hard rear sided cab for a JD 420 this week. I was hopeing to use it as a start for a cab for my 620. It has a glass and wiper in the front and a plastic framed window in the back you can take out for warm weather. I'm opptomistic about being able to modifie it but I've still got my truck in the shop trying to paint it. lol 25 degrees and ice on everything and I'm trying to paint. I got to get it out so I can start on all my goodies for my 620.