Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

front lugs

EricD

Here's a question for you guys with front lugs. How do you keep from hitting the steering arm when taking tight left turns? My lugs are reversed for better biting the snow in turns and invariable no matter how careful I am I'm locking up once or twice into the s.arm. Thanks. E

That is a problem -- the best solution I could come up with is to loosen the locking nuts on each end of the steering arm, then adjust it so that it is up close to the frame of the tractor and not down rubbing on the footplates... Now, the steering arm will rub on the frame occasionally, but it doesn't get caught by the tire lugs nearly as much...

Eric Does the Ag's on the front Bite the Snow better ??? I have a 725 with the Ag's on the front but I don't use it in the snow.. and wondered how they would work...

quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
Eric Does the Ag's on the front Bite the Snow better ??? I have a 725 with the Ag's on the front but I don't use it in the snow.. and wondered how they would work...
I have offten wondered how well the lugs do too..I don't have much of a turning problem though..My problem is one section I plow is on a slight angle and with the blade angled it likes to push the front of the tractor over instead of pushing the snow over...

I'll try to move the arm more closer to the frame. As far as turning, the lugs don't really make that much difference IMO. Slightly yes but without additional weight on the rims, they "push" like the turf tires. When I replace I'm going to try out the tri ribs and see if they make a difference, they'll certainly solve my rubbing problem on the steering shaft.