Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  

AC MOD 912 ENGINE CUTS OFF

MY ALLIS CHALMERS 912 WITH KOHLER 12HP HAS STARTED CUTTING OFF DUE TO CURRENT SHUTTING OFF TO ENGINE OR SOMEWHERE THE CIRCUIT IS BEING INTERRUPTED. CANNOT TRACE TO A DEADMAN SWITCH BUT MAYBE THIS IS THE PROBLEM. AM GOING TO REPLACE THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR SOON. ANY RESPONSE TO THIS MESSAGE WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED. THE ENGINE WILL CONTINUE TO RUN FINE IF I DISCONNECT THE PLUG FROM THE REGULATOR.

Al
HI, i suspect the circuit breaker is opening up. This replaces what would be a fuse. It is very common for the leads to be eaten off of these. They are a small "box" about 3/4" by 1" by 1/2"often down behind the battery. They have 2 terminals "bolts" sticking out of them and the wires plug on the bolts. A lot of grass collects in this area and the fact that green grass is somewhat conductive and dry grass stays wet, this causes the terminals on the wires to be eaten off by electrolsysis. When we get a 7000 or 7100 that everything is dead 80% of the time this is what is wrong. The terminal is eaten off of the wire. I believe this is about a 20 amp circuit breaker, sometimes when they get old they open at a lower current level. They are just a bimetalic strip with a contact on the end. When a current flows through them it cause a thermal rise. If the current is too high the strip gets hot, since it is bi-metalic one side expands at a higher rate than the other. This causes the strip to bend and open the contacts. When it cools it makes again until it has excessive current and the cycle repeats. You could have a bad circuit breaker , or an excessive load somewhere in the tractor. Also another sneaky thing that can happen is if your battery has a shorted cell, it would only measure 10 volts. If your engine has a 20amp or higher system 14v charging voltage looking at 10 volts in a battery and the charging current may be causing the breaker to open. NOt too common, but it does happen occasionally. My first bet would be either a bad connection at the breaker or a bas breaker. Running electric lift a lot can do it too. Any questions yell, Good luck. Al

Al
Hi, I forgot to mention that if you have a solid state regulator and in a 912 you should have one in a Kohler K301. A bad regulator can do this also , especiallly if it has one of the rectifiers inside of it shorted. It can cause a significant drain and cause the breaker to open. Good luck,Al

Stush
Had similar thing happen to my AC616 (ONAN engine), when first bought it in 73. Would be mowing ,explosion, fire fly about a foot out of muffler and engine shut down. If I switched off all accessories the engine would start and after idling a while I could mow for a breif time before the same thing happned again. I replaced the 20 amp breaker and have not had the problem sense. Also opened the old breaker and it was full of corrosion. Stush