Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lighting/charging question

lsenus

I decided to install some auxillary lighting this fall on the 6116 after I put in the electric lift. I picked up some automotive fog lights at the local parts store and mounted them on the cab using existing mounting holes for the fiberglass roof. I have a lot of light for blowing snow, but I noticed that as I worked last night, that the lift got slower and slower. Once I turned of the aux lights and worked for a little while the lift stared working better. My question is, what is the output of the charging system on a briggs 16hp twin, and what load can it support?

Here is a good post that Dutch explains how you determine how many watts of light that you can use http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=38755&SearchTerms=watts . Volts X Amps = Watts .

If the tractor wasn't designed originally for an electric lift, more then likely you have a 3 amp charging circuit. Best way to tell is, if your headlights go brighter when the engine is accelerated, you only have enough charge to keep up battery and a seperate circuit to run the headlights. Tracing out the eclectric ciruit in the operators manual should also bear that onfo.

After reading the post you linked to, I'm still at a loss. The ligths are 2 little 55w bulbs each. I would have thought that according to the post the charging system would have been able to handle it. Maybe I will pick up the 51R battery.

Yes the lights do dim and brighten with engine RPM. SO I guess that I have the 3 amp charging ciruit. I'm planning on having the engine rebuilt in the spring. is it possible to have the charging system upgraded at that time? Will the harness in the 6116 be able to handle the extra juice? Or will I need to rewire at that time also? Thanks for the inputs guys. That's the reason this is "Simply" the best site on the net.

Well i installed hialogen lights in the place of the stock lights in the front of my 7016 and put one on the rear also. they average 175 watts. I picked them up at the local flea market for about $10.00 for all three. and But the 10hp briggs that i have on it has a double charger armeter built in.

The 3 amp charging system is on kohlers. a Starter generator puts out at max 15-20 amp, 180 watts with a 15 typical amp charging system. You have 110 watt draw from the two lights, does your tractor have lights as well? That little battery does not have much reserve capacity, when you factor in the draw of the lift.

I just got back in from taking off last nights' and this mornings' accumulation totaling another 8 inches for a grand total of 16 inches. Without having to use the lights I nad no problem with the lift, so I guess either the battery doeesn't have enough umph or the charging circuit is a little on the low side. Maybe I'll look into a new motor in the spring to replace the 16 hp vert shaft opposed twin. A nice new 20-23 hp briggs v-twin with a healthy chargng circuit. Might as well upgrade.