Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

heli-coil

dav

Has anyone heli-coiled the carburator body bolt holes where it mounts to the intake? My original carb leaked where it bolts to the intake, just below the 90 degree bend. When I tried to tighten it up, it felt like just a smidgeon more tighten would strip the threads. So I took the carb off the B10 and installed that. after one or two uses, it started doing the same thing, spitting gas out of the joint where the carb and intake bolt together. There is a gasket in there and it is Permatex'd on both sides. I bought a helicoil kit but have had second thoughts. Drilling out the bolt holes to accept the heli-coil will make the carb body mighty thin at the edges of the mounting flange. Am I asking for broken flanges by heli-coiling. Should I just put longer bolts with nuts below the carb flange? I'm sure someone out there has had this problem. (I have been told that I can take the carb off her 2110 if I want to do my own cooking. I consider shoveling to be a better choice.)

I would use the heli-coil on the carb, I've done it myself. and have seen other carbs with it too. Just take your time drilling it and retapping.

I have used self tapping bolts {which you can get at your local hardware store} a millimeter bigger than the stock bolts. They make their own threads.

I had the very same thing happen just last week. I used a 1/4-20 heli-coil and now it works just like new.Heli-coils are not hard to do ,just follow the instructions and you will do fine

I am a huge fan of Heli-Coils, back in 1986 I used one to repair the threads in the engine block of my VW diesel. I use 9/16 inch insert and a Ford head bolt with a stack of washers to get the diesel on the road again after the local VW garage said to total it out. I drove it until 1990 and then sold it for $500.00 as a parts car.