Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powr'Max Power Steering?

chrisape

Does anybody have any ideas on what parts you could use add power steering to a Powr'Max tractor? Since I installed my loader, power steering would be great! Thanks in advance!

Yes, I changed all 4 tires. The fronts are Titan Tru-Power 18x8.50-10NHS , the rears are 29x12.50-15NHS, both are lug style tread. Narrow front tires would have helped, but I got a good deal on these on Ebay.

Wide footprinttires are very tough to turn sitting still because of the footprint of the tire touching the ground. As for power steering, I'm working on that project now. I'm still trying to get my pu painted and out of the shop so I can get my 620 in and tear into it. If your patient I hope to have some serious progress in the next few weeks.

Here's a link that should be useful. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=18268&SearchTerms=power+steering

Seem to recall reading here that the power steering that was used on the later PowerMax's used some of the same parts as the Chevy Vega's from that time frame.. Not sure where to send you for info on the matter though, maybe do several seaches.

The HD tire is 6.90x6 -9". Really a trailer tire. Usually not that much (compared to Pmax steering components). The Pmax's used the Vega manual steering gear box. The comparable power box doesn't fit(?), some have put in the GM 605 box. Which (rumor has it) requires some considerable 'tweeking'. (LOL) JP