Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric Fuel Pump for Powermax

powermax_paul

Well, my second of three powermaxes just got a new electric fuel pump. Was plowing snow last week and it always would lose power when it went under a heavy load. Even had to keep the choke out partly to keep it from killing. New purolator pump wired to the posuitive side of the coil, and plumbed appropriately and it runs like a champ now. If you ever have a problem with an Onan mechanical fuel pump, talk to me. I have pics, It's about a $25-$50 dollar job, and it can be done in less than 45 minutes. (IE a one beer job)

Right on dave, Plumb the electric fuel pump so it goes into the strait part of the Tee and the return line into the 90 degree part of the tee. That gives just enuf pressure to open the needle valve of the carb, keep the bowl full of gas, and send the rest back to the tank. The whole beauty of it is that the coil is right there where you need it and wiring is a piece of cake. Just remember it is the positive side of the coil with the nut (that's the one you wanna connect the pum to). Negative side of coil goes to breaker box. The pump should get it's negative from the mounting alone. Paul

Wendell, I wouldn't go that far. For every idea I've had that was good and correct, I've probably had and idea that was wrong or goofed up. But I had a lot of fun trying. To me that's part of the beauty of messing with these tractors. We arn't the first, or the best to work on these tractors, but it's been a blast tinkering.