Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Your opinions on lawn tractor purchase

JimH

I have a chance to buy a new (still in crate) Agco-Allis 512H. It has a 36" deck and is set-up for mulching. I will also use it to bag leaves in the fall. This is a perfect size tractor for my (under 1/2 acre) yard. I would also consider a snowblower and cab to take care of my 40x80 paved driveway.The smaller size of this tractor is also a plus for storage. My main concern is the snowblowing and having a cab. these would be an expensive edition. Thank's in advance for your opinions. Jim.........

What is Simplicity equilivant? I have about a 5 year old Simplicity in that general configuration. I did not have cab but handled blowing snow well. In fact my son is using it, and really enjoys helping neighbors out. Point of this it is really easy to use.

Ron, the simplicity equivilant would be the Regent. I assume that's what you have. What size is the snowblower and how is it to lift? Jim.........

I think it is a 36, will be able to tell for sure when i go to Grandson's birthday party today. It is not too hard to lift. And is fairly easy to put on and off. The spring assist at left front of tractor restricts turning somewhat. Steering is not bad either. I have tires loaded for mowing . Have a small hill in back that weighted wheels helped. then we put chains on for blowing. I converted deck over to multching. The only reason I do not use it was I wanted to be able to rototill.that got me into OLD Tractors now 4 tractors later. My son has new unit.

Hi I my self have an Agco Allis 512H. It is a nice sized lawn tractor for small lawns. What kind of engine is in it? I have a Briggs and Stratton 12.5 hp engine in mine. However we are having some problems with the engine we torn the engine apart and found out that the cam shaft is broken so we well have to fix that. I have also had trouble with the drive belt underneath slipping off but we are going to put an OEM belt on since we are using a cheap no name belt. Since yours is still in a create you will probably not have much trouble with however mine has been worked hard and is getting older. It is not a bad tractor(when mine runs) a Single stage blower would work well on the 512H. Take Care Jason B

My first tractor was an A-C 611 LTD with a 5-speed trans. and 36" mower. It is the earlier version of that 512H. I also had a 36" snowthrower with it. I will say that it was one he** of a lawn tractor. I still consider it to be one of my favorite lawn tractors. With that said, I say if the price is right, GO FOR IT!!:)

I'm not familiar with this model of tractor but I like to look for a deal. WHO DOESN'T. With that in mind, does this size tractor fill your need? How old is it? I know new in the box, but what would any depreciation do to the price. Now, do you like the tractor and would you be able to justify it's purchase with the better half? Now the bottom line. With all these ? answered, is it still a good deal? ----Then go for it.