Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3212V QUESTION

Good_Ole_JR

I saw the procedure for the adjustment of the vari-drive unit on the 3210 posting. My 3212 has a problem with the belt jumping off of the pulleys when I push on the clutch, especially after the unit has been running for awhile and the belt has gotten warmed up and limber. I noticed that the gap for the belt guides and guards is greater than the specs given in the procedure. Could this be the reason that the belt keeps popping off. From what I understand from the previous owner of the machine, this is the original belt.(30 yrs of service) I'm wondering if I should attempt to go through the adjustments with the old belt or to get a new one then adjust.The old belt does not seem to be torn or in bad shape as far as I can tell. (I dont have a new one to compare it to)

Adjust it as per the said procedure. I had my first expireience with the vari this summer after buying a 3112. Took me a while to figure it all out. I adjusted the unit and found that I had acceptable performance with old belt. Then my b-in law rode it and offered to race against his B-210. He said his was much faster. So.....I bought a new belt. I found that with a new belt I could go slower and faster. With the old belt it was like I had use of the mid range only. One of the reasons I bought a new belt was that one was available. Hard to say if one will be available in 30 yrs. It is my opinion that this is a pretty slick unit when PROPERLY adjusted. Good luck and don't bang your knuckles.

I would certainly adjust the clearances for the guides and stops. I think that, combined with a full adjustment, may stop the belt jumping off. These clearances are important: For example, after I replaced my belt, I had to go back and adust the top, flat belt guard to help hold the stiff new belt in a flat enough shape for the clutch to work well... I also agree with the other post regarding speed differences with a new belt. But, what impressed me most with mine is how much slower I can go in 2nd gear. I use it to slow me down when I mow downhill. I find that I use this speed control about twice as much as I did before replacing the belt, since it gives me a much wider speed range than before. My old belt was not overly worn or cracked (I thought, based on looking at it), but I was starting to experience belt slippage when going uphill (I live on hillside). When I compared it to a new one, the new one was almost 1/8" wider -- all the wear appears to be on the belt edges, where you can't tell without measuring or comparing. If you choose to replace it, use only an OEM belt, and be prepared to pay $45-$50 for it....

Another note for you V-drive people. I use the V-drive in my pulling tractor, I have found that brake cleaner does a great job at cleaning up the pulleys. The performance will be much better with clean "shining" pulleys. MS

If the belt has lost its "spine" you are wasting your time trying to adjust it. As soon as it warms up everything changes. We stock the new belt. ph 724-376-2489 8-5 EST we accept M,V, & D cards & ship daily.

YES YES shiney pulleys , just like on my 50-110 hp snowmobiles. Makes your belt last longer too.