Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Possible Hydro Cyl Source

MPH

First part of this past week we were pouring concrete at work and as I watched this front dumpping truck fold his shoots out a light came on. Have since forgot the numbers but I whipped out my 30 foot Stanley tape and checked out these small cyl's used to unfold the shoots, pretty close to FDT hydro lift cyl. Now just to find one in a old truck boneyard. Sorry, no pics allowed out there.

I work at a gravel pit doing the Fred Flintstone thing to supply a redimix plant. I have looked at the cylinders on the front dumpers and had the same thoughts. I asked the mechanics about the cylinders and told them what I had in mind. Their consensus was that it wouldn't work. The cylinders work on about 80 psi of air and are very lightly built. The mechs think that the hydro will have more preasure than the cylinder walls can handle and that the seals won't last long with that kind of preasure either. I don't know what preasure the hydro actually puts out. I do know that there is a fair sized pile of dead cylinders at work and that UPS is constantly bringing new ones, which confirms that the cylinders are lightly constructed. Then I got to wondering about the power steering cylinders on older cars but I'm not going thru the junkyard until mud season passes.

Unless the inside of the cylinders are badly scrached I would guess the cylider could be reworked with a oil type Orings and work just fine.

I talked with the other mechanic at work, the one who never says much but gets the job done before ya have to mention it a second time. He corrected a mistake on my part. The front dump cement trucks, at least the Oshkosh's, have a loading booth at the top of the drum that is lifted by air pistons which operate at about 80 psi. I think the maximum air available on the trucks is about 120 psi for the brake system. The pistons on the chutes that deliver the cement are hydraulic and operate near a thousand psi. I think tomorrow I will go foraging thru the old house trailers we use as storage and see what turns up.

Thats good news Dav. Gonna have to do a little poking around ready mix plants myself. Sure looked like hydro cyl but one can't check things out too close on these jobs like that or you don't stay around long.

Marty, You pique my curiousity. If I might ask, what do you do for work? Almost sounds like your employer is afraid of governmental/industrial spying! A reply of MYOB will not offend me, just curious.