Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need some carb advice

Les

Went to check oil in the B-112. When I took off the cap oil came gushing out. Apparently I am getting gas in the oil. Any ideas about what to do?

Les if you are getting gas in the oil, the only place it can be coming from is the fuel pump. I don't know what you have for a motor, but liquid fuel has to be coming from before the carb. Don't run the motor either, as the gas thins the oil, and it looses its lubricating properties

The B-112 has a 326437 Briggs, no fuel pump, must be the float needle. Only 33 years old too. I have learned that I am not good at rebuilding carbs, have to take it somewhere I guess.

Hi, Most likely cause is the inlet needle and seat. It could have a little dirt under it, particularly if it just started this. If it is original I would probably replace it, check the float to see that it doesn't have gas in it. If it does it is leaking and will not be bouyant enough to shut the fuel off. Many times all that needs to be done is to remove the float and needle and blow out the seat with air. If the needle shows a ring where it has been seating, replace it. Another thing that can cause it is leaking of the nozzle behind the main jet. This is unlikely unless it has been removed recently. Presure check the float valve before reinstalling the carb. Another good move is to install one of the neat little plastic Briggs inline shutoffs. Good luck, Al