Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric Lift Won't Lift

beuce

I was out plowing a fresh 10 inches of snow today and when I was almost finished the electric lift on my T-16 stopped lifting :(! When I pull the toggle to lower the blade I can hear it clicking, but when I push it to raise the blade nothing happens not even a sound. I suspect the toggle is shot, but what are the chances of that happening all of the sudden? I visiually checked all connections and nothing appeared loose. Any insight of how to trouble shoot a electric lift would be apperciated. Thanks in advance! Brian

Brian, you ownly have two wires that go to the lift. one hot one neg. Bypass the switch. Disconnect the neg. and hot wire from switch, ground the neg and put current from jump wire off battery to the hot wire on the lift. If lift works its the switch if not, maybe lift itself. Hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by beuce
I was out plowing a fresh 10 inches of snow today and when I was almost finished the electric lift on my T-16 stopped lifting :(! When I pull the toggle to lower the blade I can hear it clicking, but when I push it to raise the blade nothing happens not even a sound. I suspect the toggle is shot, but what are the chances of that happening all of the sudden? I visiually checked all connections and nothing appeared loose. Any insight of how to trouble shoot a electric lift would be apperciated. Thanks in advance! Brian
Many times toggle switches go bad without any warning. Try pushing in on the lever as you flip it back and forth quickly. That may knock off the corrosion and make contact. Test the lift by reversing polarity with a set of jumpers. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/dutch/rev-polar.jpg[/img]

Dutch and Ken, Ya know I guess I could have figured that out, but as I looked at the toggle and all the wires going into it I freaked out[:0]. I'm heading out the door to try your suggestions. Thanks

Dutch and Ken, It was the switch, I tried a little different approach. I had the dash apart and the switch exposed so I swapped the wires right on the switch. Wasn't so intimadating after I looked at it. Now I need to find a switch :(. Thanks again!

You will have to get a high current make and brake switch as it will coorode because of the sparking contact. My quad rocker switch is acting up in the down position, but if I hold it it will go down. Just saving off spending $20 or more for a new one.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
SPST momentary on switch at parts store runs between $8.00 and $13.00
I believe the electric lift needs a DPDT momentary switch. OEM should still be available from Simplicity.

I got a heavy duty dripproof DPDT momentary switch and toggle boot from McMaster Carr for use with my snowblower spout rotator. Very good quality.

A marine grade switch would be great, could probably order form West Marine on line, or any other good wharehouse. The marine grade insures better moisture/water proof.

The NAPA switch is dead already, blew out the side somehow, maybe trying to tighten it to much. I had it hooked up and working, but when I installed the dash I lost all my electrical stuff, no lights, lift or starter. After trouble shooting for about an hour all I came up with is a shorted headlight wire, could that cause me to lose everything? I have everything working now I just need a GOOD quality switch. I will check out the suggestions posted... Thanks

If a SPST switch will work, can you buy a 10A DPDT switch, wire the 2 switch legs together in parallel, and get a 20A SPDT switch? Would that be heavy duty enough for the purpose? David

Ken, Thanks for the part #. I searched all over in the Simplicity Tech Pubs and couldn't find it. I ordered it through Jacks Small Engines along with some other stuff. The parts look up is pretty cool, found lots of stuff I needed, along with the part number for the switch which you already provided ;). Would of saved me a ton of time if I would have started there instead of the Tech Pubs. Thanks Again!

I paid less than $15.00 for a DPDT switch at the parts store. I called the simplicity dealer and they were more than twice as much. I use a 30a fuse in the main feed circuit for my aux. wiring. On this I have the spout rotator, windshield wiper, rotating safety light, cab mounted front work lights and rear marker lights, and windshield defroster these are controlled by four lighted rocker switches and the SPST momentary on switch. I can run all 5 items at the same time and have no problems. As you can see in the picture 3 of the circuits are on. Excuse the mess I was hooking up the windshield wiper and redoing the cab wiring after installing the hard windshield.

Nice setup Maynard. You make me envious with that cab. I have a blower in my garage I can't wait to use, but I know that I will get blasted with snow. The switch I bought at Jacks was $17 and some change plus shipping. I ordered some other stuff too helping off set the cost of shipping.