Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wonderboy 700

ka9bxg

I have a model 19 engine in the tractor and am having a problem with running at full throttle.It starts to backfire and pop anytime I bring it above half throttle. Have changed carb new points new plug and still same problem. No I did not rebulid the engine and no it does not smoke. Any ideas on what to do next? I do believe I have the points set right but will check it tomorrow. Bob

Try checking your magneto pickup assembly for the right clearance. If thats ok then check your coil, it could be getting weak, that is very common on older coils.

Also check to see if the flywheel could have slipped on the shaft. Check to see if the keyway in the flywheel and shaft still line up. Tim

No offense to Tim but there is no keyway on the flywheel of a Model 19 the magneto is seperate from the flywheel but there is a dimble in the crank where the screw of the magneto too lock into for timing of the magneto to the coil that surrounds it. The coil mounting bracket has a timing mark on it as to which engine it is used in. So the coil might have moved over the years or I suggest a condenser if you haven't tried it. Bob I have a Model 19 parts manual if you would like a copy. Just e-mail me Jeff