Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Add Hubs To Front?

dvdriz

I will need to replace my front wheels on my 3314 in the near future and have been doing some thinking. I have a trailer out back with 1" spindles and hubs that I would like to use on my tractor. I could then use regular trailer tires as well as have bolt on wheels with the addition of hubs. Now I am sure someone has already tried this before so I am hoping to tap into experience of you veterans. What I believe would need to happen is cut off the 3/4" axle and weld the 1" spindle in it's place, similar to how a trailer axle is constructed. Does this sound like it will work? Thanks,

Member "arnoldir" put front hubs on his 6000 series. Check the archives to find out how he did it. I don't recall how he did it, but it seems to me the bearings required on the hub you want to install should be available with a 3/4" ID. That would sure be much easier than modifying the axles or replacing spindles.

I was too excited to wait to see what all of the experts had to say on this topic. I went out into the garage and after two hours, one side is done. It is relatively simple to do and it looks very cool. I will download some pics when complete. As a plus the hubs off the old trailer I used have a grease zert installed as well.

Here is a picture of the finished project. This really was easy and I am pleased with the outcome. [img]/club2/attach/dvdriz/newfrontwheels.jpg[/img] I also threw one in of the new seat latch with spring I designed.

Hey Riz !! Welcome to the club. Can you show a side pic of those hub's, I'd like to know what size spindle you used. Or did you have a 3/4" bearings/hub already that you used? Dave

JJ MARSHALL
[img]/club2/attach/jj marshall/golf cart hubs 006.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/jj marshall/golf cart hubs 005.jpg[/img] these are golf cart hubs and wheels they use a 3/4 bearring work good on these axle this is on a wheel horse JJ

Dave, I used 1" spindles and hubs for this project. I ended up cutting the "U" shaped portion out of the old OEM spindle assembly and then welded the 1" spindle in place. By removing the "U" shape area this gave me a lot of surface area in varying planes to weld to which made a real strong joint. I will post a side pic tomorrow. Thanks,

Thank you!! Nice pic's I mite give that a try some day when I have time........Thank's again for your time.