Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs & Stratton 16 HP CI engines aren't........

BLT

...........dead yet. The problem is how do import one. http://www.chabin.pl/Download/Katalog_silnikow_MP2839IN-04.pdf This is Briggs MY 2005 International Product line up and yup the 16 HP still shows up. All we needs to know is to find an international dealer that would work with us. Well that keeps the candle burning for a while. While we can't buy engines, there must be some one out there who would sell parts. The 10 HP is the only other CI engine listed.

A while back I thought that Kent posted that he heard somewhere from a dealer that they were still going to produce parts. Maybe he has heard more?

RedbarnRick
Hi BLT, I deal with Farm and Fleet here in my area they still list almost all the parts for my CI 16 hp at least up until last month anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by RedbarnRick
Hi BLT, I deal with Farm and Fleet here in my area they still list almost all the parts for my CI 16 hp at least up until last month anyway.
Rick I'm not hurting. For two tractors I have an extra 16 HP CI and if push gets to shove, I have a Briggs opposed twin 18HP. And my two mounted 16's show no signs of giving up the ghost. My 7010 is on it's second ring job, but now far improved since I put in a chrome ring set. I also might have have a second 10 HP short block lurking about. I just came across brochure on the net. Parts are still availble if you are persistent.

Small Engine Warehouse seems to acquire some of these "international" engines every so often. I believe they're made in China and Small Engine Warehouse gets some of the ones sent to Central or South America.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can buy the 16HP short blocks again through Briggs distributors, but you can't buy complete engines -- since they don't pass all the new emissions tests. They're made in China, I think...

I wonder at what point its NOT a motor? How bout if one were to order it WITHOUT a starter, carb, muffler and spark plug? or no oil pan? I wonder how MOTOR is defined for import reasons...THEN we can know what wed have to do to get them.

With a shortblock, you get the complete block, with new crank, piston, cam, etc. You have to add your carb, starter, oil pan, sheetmetal, and flywheel.

quote:
Originally posted by AC808
I wonder at what point its NOT a motor? How bout if one were to order it WITHOUT a starter, carb, muffler and spark plug? or no oil pan? I wonder how MOTOR is defined for import reasons...THEN we can know what wed have to do to get them.
Any ready to run engine that is built here or imported today up to 750 HP must meet Tier 3 emissions. If I have the law right, this should cover model airplane engines all the way up to heavy duty Diesel engines. Even marine engines are now caught in the fray. This covers the non highway market. I haven't got my card but in 2007 the emissions get tougher yet and that might mean the demise of some small engine builders as they can't afford to pay the certificate fee and still stay in business. In the HD Diesel automotive end which I am a bit familiar with, each certified HP setting costs the engine about $50,000.00 On the series engine that I do the most work with, we have 20 HP settings. That's a million bucks just for the right to sell it. The smaller engines also have a fee, what it is, I don't know, but if you have the time you can find it at the EPA web site. What Kent defined as a short block, is exempt for now as it needs other parts to run, namely from your old engine, which are grandfathered. If any of your old parts need replacing, just go to to your freindly parts store.

Im assuming that a shortblock isnt included in the emission rules...since it isnt techincally a motor...THen if thats the case the manufacturer could sell all the parts to be assembled by the end user...which i guess is what their kinda doing now...

I believe the B&S rep told me NO HARD PARTS,block crank etc, for these things are LEGALLY for sale here,,your right in finding intnational dealer,, he might help,,btw I "thanked" him for the Lombardini/briggs diesel,,he didn't want any praise for that deal!,,

• 2 weeks later...
I can see it now 'Wacko garden tractor nuts busted for smuggling illegal Briggs cast Iron engines into the country.'