Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I think my bevel gearbox just broke

stavendirtbike

stavendirtbike
While out snowblowing the driveway with the Simplicity 725 today it stopped moving down the driveway. I looked at the drivebelt to see if it was slipping and loose, nope, and soon there were some nasty whining and crunchy noises from within the bevel gearbox (not the rear transmission). Shut her off and pulled her into the garage. Looks like a gear, keyway, or something inside that box broke seeing it spins freely without grabbing :(. I noticed before this happened, there was quite a bit of forward/backward play with the pulley coming out of that box. My 725 has the pullstart only and I noticed when wrapping the rope around the notched pulley, there would be atleast an inch of play. Do these boxes commonly blow out? I haven't pulled it apart yet but are parts still avaliable for them? Better off finding a complete box?

The parts are still available and can run as much as $360.00 to do a complete rebuild. If you buy a used one be careful and check the backlash. Some say this is the weakest link but I tend to disagree, If maintained properly these will last 15 years or longer. One thing about rebuilding one you know what you have when your finished, buying off ebay you never no what you will end up with.

maxtorman1234
For out 917H, We had to pay $125 for each gear, $45 each for the 2 ball bearings, $12 for the 2 roller bearings, and $7 for the seals, and $60 for an input shaft plus 15% tax. That's $445 + 66 tax, for a grand total of $511 CAD to rebuild the bgb. That's pretty rediculous. :(!

Graham, I wonder why they charge so much more? The gears here are around $60.00-$70.00 and I paid $22.00 fo the bearings each. I understand it is two different currency but that is ridiculous.

stavendirtbike
Some good news... sort of. I took the tractor apart and ends up being that the internal parts in the bevel gear box are perfectly fine, I didn't even have to take that apart. What happened was, part # 154198 the flange for the driveshaft that goes on the output shaft from the bevel gear box, loosened up and ended up tearing itself up and unfortunately, the output shaft from the bevel gear box. The previous owner must have had this apart before as there was no keywey. In fact, he used an after market bolt that fit in the keywey slot instead of using a keyway. This is what was giving me all that play and backlash. The bevel box actually has no backlash at all. This whole time it was the flange from the driveshaft and the previous owners crappy way of using a bolt to take the place of a keyway. Unfortunately the parts are still a bit pricey. The flange is $40, and the output shaft from the bevel gear box that is now completely torn up is also $40 (both from Jackssmallengines.com). I guess that's better than the $300 figures you guys were giving me for a blown bevel gear box. Any ideas on where to get these 2 parts cheaper? Anyone have these parts avaliable for sale? I'm very glad that the internals of the box is fine but I will still have to pull it apart to replace the output shaft.

quote:
Originally posted by stavendirtbike
Some good news... sort of. I took the tractor apart and ends up being that the internal parts in the bevel gear box are perfectly fine, I didn't even have to take that apart. What happened was, part # 154198 the flange for the driveshaft that goes on the output shaft from the bevel gear box, loosened up and ended up tearing itself up and unfortunately, the output shaft from the bevel gear box. The previous owner must have had this apart before as there was no keywey. In fact, he used an after market bolt that fit in the keywey slot instead of using a keyway. This is what was giving me all that play and backlash. The bevel box actually has no backlash at all. This whole time it was the flange from the driveshaft and the previous owners crappy way of using a bolt to take the place of a keyway. Unfortunately the parts are still a bit pricey. The flange is $40, and the output shaft from the bevel gear box that is now completely torn up is also $40 (both from Jackssmallengines.com). I guess that's better than the $300 figures you guys were giving me for a blown bevel gear box. Any ideas on where to get these 2 parts cheaper? Anyone have these parts avaliable for sale? I'm very glad that the internals of the box is fine but I will still have to pull it apart to replace the output shaft.
Before you spend $80 for a new flange and shaft, consider this fix. It should work fine..> http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31916

stavendirtbike
quote:
Originally posted by dutch
[quote][i] Before you spend $80 for a new flange and shaft, consider this fix. It should work fine..> http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31916
Thank you for the link but it is not working when I click it. I come up with an error. What is the title of this topic so that I can maybe search the post?

quote:
Thank you for the link but it is not working when I click it. I come up with an error. What is the title of this topic so that I can maybe search the post?
Topic name = "Alternative keyway fix" It's in the Technical Tips & Articles forum.

One other thing to consider doing while you're repairing it is to replace the seals & bearings as well. This is usually the main reason the gearbox goes bad. It in my opinion is cheap insurance to keep from destroying the gears & possiably the shafts. This would require spliting the tractor to get to the input seal/bearing. Dan

stavendirtbike
quote:
Topic name = "Alternative keyway fix" It's in the Technical Tips & Articles forum.
Hmm, still says I do not have access to the topic even when clicking Technical Tips & Articles, is this for paying members only? Peppydan, I will consider doing that if I must split open the BVG box. Thanks for the tip.

You have to be a club member to view that area http://simpletractors.com/club2/membership_benefits.asp .

quote:
Hmm, still says I do not have access to the topic even when clicking Technical Tips & Articles, is this for paying members only? Peppydan, I will consider doing that if I must split open the BVG box. Thanks for the tip.
I didn't even notice you aren't a member. Assumed you were because I know I've seen you posting for a couple of years. Sorry about that........

The bevel gear boxes are very reliable. Most last for many years before they need to be worked on. It all depends on how the tractor is used. You should not have a problem with getting parts for them. I agree though, be very careful when buying a used one.