Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3314 Progress Pics

dvdriz

I have been working on this 3314 V for about two months now. It was clearly the work of a very frustrated handyman upon purchase. As a true lover of Simplicity tractors I knew it was still better than any new junk out there. I have been dealing with Parkinson's for few months now and am on disability. I found myself very depressed and this tractor is the only thing I have to keep me going. I have included several pics of what I have done to this tractor thus far. I hope you enjoy them: This is a picture of the rear hitch assembly I made. There are three pieces I made here. The tube sleeve, the trailer ball hitch, and the attachment to hold rear weight. My son is still looking for his weight set. [img]/club2/attach/dvdriz/rearhitchassy.jpg[/img] Here is a small tool box I made to store my hitch pins, flashlight, cigars, etc.

Here is a picture of the rear light I made. I used a standard tractor light and made a modification to the guts. I did not want to add much of a current load so I modified it with a bright white LED module called a Luxeon Star. It draws approximately 300mA and works great for a rear light.

Here is a picture of the rear wheel weight mounting. It is not real clear here but the design is based off of what the other folks have doen except I used 1.5" tubeing for the larger hole in the steel weights.

Here is a picture of the seat latch I made. I used a swinging catch with a spring to absorb the pressure slowly as not to damage the seat pan. Seems to work OK.

Pictures of the stack muffler. This mod really turned out nice. and I am surprised how it sounds considering the connection between the engine muffler and the stack is not sealed.

Pics of the front bumper. I wanted something that could act as a bumper but also a place to store my chain. Here is what I came up with. Notice in one of the pics it showes a flange that slides up behind the tractor frame to add strength.

Here is one of the front hubs and 1" spindles I added

My next addition will be some kind of electric or hydraulic lift. I am still in the design stages at this point. I also wanted to thang everyone's advice as I have made various repairs to this tractor. What a great hobby! Thanks,

Great ideas and great work. Really like ( as in I will borrow these ideas ) 8D the toolbox, rear light, and front bumper. The other mods are good too, but I really see a need for these. Now for a beverage holder! :D Almost forgot, that seat restraint is really a great idea too.^

dvdriz: Thanks for the pix. Nice job on the mods. I, too, enjoy these tractors. I was going to buy a brand new one, but keeping the older ones running is so much more fun. Keep up the good work! Tacey

TomMaryland
Nice job, riz! I wouldn't give those weights back either! I was looking for a good way to hold cigars too, thanks for the tip.

Those are some great ideas Keith! I especialy like the heavier hubs for the front wheels. I should look at doing something like that with my Sunstar Loader Tractor, it takes quite a beating around here. Thanks for the pics!!

Great looking work you do there! I think you could draw up some plans and place them in the "how to" section of the site. Especially the front bumper. John H

Nice mods dvdriz. I'm thinking about front hubs for one of mine and that front bumper looks good, great design. Bet that will come in handy allot. Randy

Looks great Riz, Hang in there. Life is full of bumps, but its how we hang on to the tractor wheel of life that helps us get through it. (ok i just made that up) but i do understand what you might be going through. Sunny days are commig. Keep posting your great mods, they are all great. I have a need for a picnic table pickeruper/mover and in the plans right now myself.

quote:
Originally posted by dvdriz
and the attachment to hold rear weight. My son is still looking for his weight set.
Forgot to mention in my earlier post, I wouldn't worry too much about this. If it is anything like around here, I just consider it payback for all the times I went to the garage and wondered where all my tools were. They certainly weren't in my toolbox! :D Two son's can be hard on tools.

Riz, I know your frustrations, I am dealing with lung cancer and the only thing that keeps me going on those bad days is this site and my tractors,so hang in there.You did a GREAT JOB,keep it up.

JohnFornaro
Rizi: I like the tool box idea also. But how do you keep it from interfereing with stuff when you raise the rear deck? I was going to bolt on a spare Sears toolbox, but I'm still stumped on what to do when I raise the seat! For now, I dump all tools in the cart....chainsaw, rake, carpentry tools etc. Kinda large, and rather inconvenient when you leave tractor and cart at bottom of hill, and walk home. Then you never get around to retrieving it until it starts raining at midnight, so there yu are sloshing around half naked, driving your tractor back to the shed. Not that that's actually happened to me.....

John, The tool/cigar box has a lid with a lock on it that keeps the stuff from falling out. The lid also has a lip to shed any rain that may find it's way to it. Thanks, Keith