Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro LIft Pump Experience?

dvdriz

I am in the thinking stage of adding a hydraulic lift to my tractor. Just curious if anyone has ever used a convertible top pump from a car to make such a system? I am thinking of bidding on one and am curious if I would be waisting my money. I would most likely put a ram under the tractor and use the location on the lift assembly normally reserved for the electric lift ram. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Riz, I think Wendell (oots) used a convertible top pump (or a similar type electric pump) to power his hydrolift, and Dan(rokon2813) is planning to use a convertible top pump to power his homemade forklift. The hydrolift cylinder should mount to the same brackets as the electric lift unit. You didn't say what tractor you are mounting this unit on. It would help to know because there are significant differences in some of the chassis configurations. Rod

• 2 weeks later...
I found a nice 12V hydro pump from a convertible top car. I also found a hydro cylinder on ebay that should fit under the tractor (3314 Sovereign). I assume these convertible top pumps are simply used in forward and reverse by changing the polarity on the pump motor which would eliminate any need for hydro valves. Does anyone know if my assumption is correct? The pump has two ports on it, one on each side with a tee fitting. I also assume one side is an output and the other is an input which would work with a dual acting cylinder nicely. This should be a fun project. Thanks,

quote:
Originally posted by dvdriz
I found a nice 12V hydro pump from a convertible top car. I also found a hydro cylinder on ebay that should fit under the tractor (3314 Sovereign). I assume these convertible top pumps are simply used in forward and reverse by changing the polarity on the pump motor which would eliminate any need for hydro valves. Does anyone know if my assumption is correct? The pump has two ports on it, one on each side with a tee fitting. I also assume one side is an output and the other is an input which would work with a dual acting cylinder nicely. This should be a fun project.
Every top motor I've ever seen (I haven't seen them all) worked exactly the way you assume. The old cars (40's - early 50's) used brake fluid for hydro oil.

Dutch, Here is a pic of the new pump. Do you know if it should mount tank up, tank down, or a different orientation for proper operation? Thanks,