Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I thinks she's toast

SteveP

I have a Brigg 16 hp (401707) that has a valve seat that has pulled out of the block. Been told locally that there is no good fix for the seat. Has anyone permanently fix one or is it time for an engine swap? Thanks Steve

I have pulled the head on 8h.p engines and pushed seat in and peened the metal around it It shows you how to peen it in the briggs repair manual

My brother-in-law took one to a local small engine shop and was told it couldn't be fixed. He then went to an automotive machine shop where they matched, then screwed an automotive valve seat into the unit, then staked it in place. Never had any problems with it after that.

I would think that most any good machine shop would be able to Tig weld the area around the seat and machine it back to size to sweat fit the seat back into place. Then you take it to an engine shop to have the seat reground and the valves lapped. May as well have the guides checked while your at it. If the seat was loose for any time at all, the guide will likely be worn from side thrust. Just my 2 pennys worth

I also took one to a auto machine shop where they match an oversize seat, fit it, then all I had to do is regap the valve clearance. Cost me $30-$40 I forget excactly.

I had an automotive machine shop replace the original bad seat with an automitive type seat. Worked great!

Had it done on a 16 also, it needed lots of parts. The cam lifter valve seat were all bad. Double check all the parts ahead of time. Mine was $25 less then a new short block by the time I bought all the parts and lobor.

patrician12
Doesn't that really bother you,if someone doesn't have the proper tools or equipment or doesn't have the capability they tell you it can't be fixed.We have had some cars over the years where you would say the head was destroyed.It was filled in with weld ,machined and the necessary parts replaced.