Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tranny/Hydrolic trouble

skubbs

The old 916 was doing a fine job of plowing; plenty of power. Then, suddenly, as I ended a row, the hydrolic wouldn't lift the plow, and the tractor wouldn't go forward or backward. I pressed the clutch a time or two and it went forward for a bit, then stopped. Any idea what the problem is? I intend to check all the fluid levels tomorrow, if I can find the oil caps. Why work so well and then crap out? Engine still runs like a top. I sure hope it's not a major fix. Thanks, Steve

I would definitely start with checking the fluid. Also check the belt. The oil fill tube is at the back of the tractor right above the drawbar.

I braved the cold to remove the oil filter, and when I did so, no oil came out. There was very little oil in the filter. Also, the filter has a wear mark on it from a belt, or something, and it may have a pin hole in it, but I didn't see any evidence of oil spraying anywhere. What really scared me, though, is when I removed the oil filter, two small pieces of metal fell out, measuring about 3/8 in long by 1/8 to 1/4 in wide. One piece is roughly triangular. Does this same oil control both the hydrolic and the hydrostatic tranny? What kind of oil can I use to replace it? And, I read in the manual abut lifting and opening the relief valve, but my manual doesn't show where it is, nor does it show where the fill plug is. The freewheeling latch appeared to have been half up/half down when I checked it. I guess it has to be up during operation? Thanks for putting up with a novice. Steve

Also, the drive belt is on and running. Doesn't seem exceptionally tight, but I don't think it's the problem.

I'd try refilling it with oil, but the metal doesn't sound good. Yes the hydrostat trans. uses just the 1 filter and a loop off the charge pump(built into the hydro unit) works both the trans. and the lift. You may have blown the charge pump. Uncommon, but not impossible. The charge pump is the only part that would pump oil into the filter. The high pressure side of the hydro unit gets oil low pressure from the charge pump, then pressurises it to the high pressure needed to propel the tractor. If you loose the charge pump, you loose all hydraulic function.

Clean and remove the charge pump and inspect the gears ( sounds like a tooth chip that you found ) Also, check the drive pin that drives the center gear. ( Have replaced many over the years that were broken ) If you need help, feel free to PM or e-mail (Salthart@DirectUS.net ) me. I'm 40 miles or so north of Gaffney. Good luck

You can use Dextron/mircon ATF in the Transmission. Also when replaceing the filter Get an OEM filter or a Napa, Wix, or Baldwin filter to replace it. The belt marks on the filter suggests that a tiller has been run on this tractor with out a Rear P.T.O. Drive Kit Part# 1685225 price is around $30.00 that is needed to direct the belt away from the filter.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I would definitely start with checking the fluid. Also check the belt. The oil fill tube is at the back of the tractor right above the drawbar.
I agree

Back in business! The tiller pulley was on the hydraulic lift bracket, and it was somehow turning against the oil filter (the pulley belt is inactive, but the pulley was touching the end of a turning shaft which protruded just enough to allow the edge of the pulley to ride on it, causing it to turn. When the plow was lowered, the pulley was lowered against the oil filter. Just one of those things). It did wear a pin hole in the filter. I replaced the filter, topped off the fluid, removed the pulley, and finished plowing my garden. Thanks a bunch for the help.

The tiller pulley on the hydraulic lift bracket does not sound like an oem set up. There shouldn't be a pully anywhere near the Transmission filter. This is a diagram of the Rear P.T.O Drive kit Part# 1685225 that is needed on a Hydrostatic drive tractor to run a rear tiller. This is needed to get the tiller drive belt up off of and over the transmission oil filter.

The pulley unit was on the left side of the hydraulic lift bar, just sitting there, with the belt wrapped around the seat to keep it out of the way. I just left it there, thinking it belonged there. Dumb me. Thanks for the diagram.

Learned something again, didn't know that on the hydro tractors you needed the P>T>O> drive kit. Been tilling for years without it. I replaced the bigger filter with one that was about 2".and the belt didn't touch it. Steve I'm in Greer also, let get togather sometime. I run Greer Mail Serv. at 1425 W, Wade Hampton Bl. I have a AC 914.