Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

coolant trouble

Mowingman

could this happen to a antifreeze cooled engine- coolant leaking in by the spark plug, fouling the plug and after the pull started engine warms up, the plug dries enough to run? we are having problems with one of our engines, and this seems to be the more likely cause

More likely a blown head gasket.is there an external coolant leak near the plug that you can see ,like a hose connection ? is there antifreeze pooling around the base of the plug ? seems to me that it would take a long time for even a small amount of coolant to seep down the plug threads,any white smoke from the exhaust ?

What engine and maybe it's a hose leaking. Send me a picture of what you have to see where your problem is, if you have a digital camera and I'll try and help you out.

Best case, head loose or bad gasket, worse case a cracked block or head. If it was mine it would be both cracked head and block. lol

If it is a Kawasaki liquid cooled engine could be head gasket. Beware on the Kaws that the water pump is gear driven on the shaft end of the motor and a bad gasket at pump/motor block can cause some unusual leaks. Can also cause coolant to enter crankcase with oil, this can also happen when seal at water pump shaft leaks(antifreeze/oil mix). Had a very bad experience with liquid cooled Kaw engine: 2 head gaskets, water pump, and numerous oil filters due to coolant leaks. I perfer the air cooled engines now.