Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leaning Sovereign

Chris727

I got the motor pulled on my 17GTH-L and noticed it has a pretty bad lean. I notice it when I bought it but assumed it was an optical illusion because the hood was bent and one rear tire was low. Now with all tires filled equally, the rear hitch measures the same off the ground on each side, so its not the axle or tires but the at the sides of the engine compartment the right side is 3/8 inch higher than the other side and the frame where the brace runs accross which the seat deck latches to in front, its also 3/8 higher on one side than the other, when you look at the tractor from the rear or front its really noticeable. I was concerend the frame was twisted but since its off the same amount in front as in the back of the frame tunnel I'm thinking its the BGB sideplates. I guess I'm going to have to split the tractor to figure this one out. I'll try to get some pics up tommorow. This is the first leaning RBT I've encountered but the frame looks kind of dinky compared to the frame of the 3400 series. Does anyone know why they lightened them up for the 7100's? Has anyone seen a 7100 with a lean before? Thanks for listening to my rambling, just been scratching my head over this one. Chris

Understand they had to lighten the frames on the RBT's to compensate for the wt added by them running boards. FDT's rule

Most times I have seen this it was the 4 bolts that hold the BGB to the frame where the drive shaft connects.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Understand they had to lighten the frames on the RBT's to compensate for the wt added by them running boards. FDT's rule
Yup, I heard that too.....;):D:D

You should be able to check the BGB bolts without splitting the tractor. With the tractor on level ground (preferably concrete), hold a level across the top of each tire and measure the distance to the ground. There can be a difference in the actual diameter of tires even if they are the same size. Jack the front of the tractor off the ground and make sure the front axle center pivot is free, greased, and not worn. Check for a bent front axle spindle.

I don't think them Kohlers had enough power to twist the frame like that, so it must be them RB's.lol

I agree that it is most likely the BGB bolts. They have a significant abount of clearance around them. It could also be the side plates on the tranny that attach to the BGB. One side may have loostened and dropped. I had a problem with loose side plate bolts on my 716H and also on my 61 Wards. The combination of mis-aligned sideplates and BGB could put a significant twist into the frame. Loosten the BGB bolts first and see if you can realign the frame. If it won't move that far, then loosten the sideplate bolts. With both loose you should be able to align the frame, then re-tighten all of the bolts.

Mike, The BGB case is what connects the front frame of the tractor to the rear steel sides plates that the transmission bolts between. There are four BGB bolts facing the front of the tractor that connect the end of the frame to the BGB; there are 3 bolts on each side of the BGB that connect to the front of the steel side plates. The four front bolts are known to come loose with time; some folks have found one or two bolts missing.

Hi, Back in the late 80s, we had a new 7116 with this problem. I had to split the tractor and egg the bevel gear box bolt holes in the frame. I have seen these occasionally, sometimes the bolts can be loosened and have enough slack to correct the problem. Al Eden

Thanks guys, I hope its that simple! I didn't realize there was so much room for movement in the bolt holes. This may be one of those times to appreciate the open frame tunnel design since I can easily access the front bgb bolts. Was pretty tough to get the driveshaft out though, I had to remove the motor and rear fiber disc because of the newer rubber coupler design and the hydraulic lift hanger bracket in the way. I'll keep you posted, will look at the bolts tommorow. Thanks again. Chris

I looked at the four bolts where the frame tunnel mounts to the BGB and none were loose. I loosened them up and jacked up the leaning side until it was level, then retightend the bolts. As I tightened them it leaned back slightly but at least now the front is only off by 1/16 of an inch and the back of the tunnel is only off 1/8 of an inch. I may keep working with it to try and correct that but it looks like the thick piece of steel that the BGB input shaft goes through in the frame was welded in place 1/16 higher on the high side and 1/16th lower on the low side so the only thing I can probably do about that is egg out the holes a little. Overall its much better. Thanks for the tips! Chris