Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Motts flail mower

ehertzfeld

Hey guys I whent out and got the flail mounted. It's defenetly made of a allis/simp.

it looks like I have a few item missing I have two pullies and some type of lever. Any ideas?

If you look closly the lever is how you engage it. So that means the belt from the engine is fixed. Maybe just spring loaded?

this uses a spit lift rod with a cable in between. ever seen this before?

Here is the best looking decal

Does any one know were I can get more info or pictures of one? Thanks Elon

thedaddycat
My guess would be two pulleys, possibly one flat and one V, with one of them fixed and the other with a spring tensioner. I'll do some more thinking about it and see if any ideas come to mind.... I'm wondering what that small tab with the hole in it is for, the one forward of the lift arm. Is there any way that bracket fits up to that tab? Possibly part of the belt tensioner?

I never saw a real live one, so I can't help. But Paul Van Blarigan has one and he should be able to help.

Cut Grass :D as I understand it, they were originally designed, so as to not "throw" debris. they are used a lot as roadside mowers. The "blades" swing on chains, and are supposed to flip out of the way when encountering rocks, tree roots etc. They also tend to mow taller grass without clumping as much, but real tall grass will wrap around the drum.

I've always heard them described as a safer version of a "Bush Hog" or rough-cut mower. As Dan described, they're not for cutting really tall stuff (or saplings) but for cutting rougher stuff than your lawn... such as keeping a pasture field trimmed down.

I got thoses pics. from here. http://ihregistry.com/discus/messages/48389/52838.html WM DeTurck's post states that the bracket pictured in the second photo came from an AC B-10.He may still have it.He's a real nice guy,I'm sure if you e-mail him he can help you out with it.

andy gartner
Mott Hammer Knife I have a five foot Mott Hammer Knife I use with my Ford Naa off the rear PTO, and three point hitch. If the twin blades (at each mounting point) are sharp, not bent, and all there, on a flat surface, it can do a nice finish job. On uneven surfaces, or if it runs into a rock or stick, or large tree branch, the blades can strike them or the ground and swing back, eventually dulling, and bending blades, which happens. Last time I had blades changed, I think there were over 130 sets or pairs, which you can also sharpen and reverse. The Mott Hammer Knife is a neat tool, but more limited to a 'perfect-world' cutting situation. Your shorter version will have less of these problems.

I have a mott that is a tow behind. It uses a 7 hp briggs and it does work well in tall grass but you do have to go slow. I cut all the weeds around this place when it was nothing but a weed patch for 20 years.It does a O K job on a lawn something like a Deere.

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
Hey Mack, any chance of a better pic of the pulley set up? Elon
I got a picture of one in the brochure that I got when I bought my Landlord 101. I just sent it on it's way to be scanned. When I get it I'll post it here. It appears the pulley setup is the same as the one belt blowers.

What ever it cuts however it works it sure is a nice piece of equipment. Can wait to see it all painted and running.

quote:
Originally posted by KVANDY12
What ever it cuts however it works it sure is a nice piece of equipment. Can wait to see it all painted and running.
Geeze I havent even thought about when I'm going to paint the tractor, never mined the mower![:0]:D Elon

I saw a mott 5ft mower like this on a International cub about a year ago, they used it to mow around a hospital.

Hi, I had a 6 ft Mott hammer knife mower and it had 288 knives on it. they were about 6" long and 7/8" wide and about 1" of the end bent 45 degrees. It was an excellent mower and did a beautiful job. These small blades are designed for lawn mowing, and not high grass, but it will cut higher grass. I had it on a 35 hp Fordson Dexta Diesel tractor. It was wonderful. They NEVER bunch the grass, you can come down and turn thru the grass that is cut and it just picks it up and lays it right down like a carpet. Larger knife flail mowers cut weeds etc better, their knives are usually swinging on a chain. These units are a really fine lawn mower and once you start using it, I doubt you will return to a rotary. The only draw back to mine was it is a job to grind 288 knives and there 144 cotter pins and pins to remover and turn the blades around. I would love to have one again. Mine could be made to turn either into the grass or the other direction and cut the grass and turn it back. I always ran it turning with the direction of travel, and had it just kick the grass on through, instead of cutting into the grass and throwing it over the top of the rotor. Enjoy it. Al Eden

Speaking of flails, I just put a down payment on a Haban Flail. It is for a Massey-Feugeson, but I was thinking of modifying it to work on one of my bolens. It looks a little large to modify for my B10's, and I can't think of how it would modify to work on my Simplicity GTG16. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/108.JPG[/img]

maxtorman1234
I found an old pull behind one, with a wisconscin motor on it. WOuld this type be worth anything now?

thedaddycat
Elon, in Mack's first pic it looks like there's a spring on the end of the arm with the pulley going to the tab on the front near the mower part of the unit. That is close to what we talked about as far as one of the pulleys being a tensioner. Note also that the engagement handle is on the front side of the unit instead of being between the mower head and the tractor like yours is. The second pulley is located almost up against the front axle, and looking at the axle it doesn't look like that is a Simplicity or AC tractor. The arm that it is mounted on almost looks like that one bent piece you had in the basement, but not quite. I'm still thinking about how that was set up. Could it be that there was another pulley to guide the belt(and take up some of the extra length) that just isn't there any more?

Kirk, when I frist saw Mack's pic I saw that bent piece. I was thinking that it was a piece for the Mott but it isn't threaded at all. So I ruled it out. As for the handle, I had that cover off and it looks like you can have it either way, inside or out. Thinking abut what we talk about, I think it the best/easiest way to do it, is just do make it like the single belt blower hitch. But untill Nick gets the pictures he has scanned, I'll make that desission. Elon

thedaddycat
Depending on what kind of tractor that is in Mack's first pic, that tractor may or may not have a front PTO like the AC does. That belt arrangement could be from something like our center PTO, kind of hard to tell....

I belive that picture shows it mounted on a Cub Cadet Original.So it should be driven of a front PTO but behind the grill, not sticking out of it like an A/C /Simplicity.

OK, I got the brochure back. They couldn't get the scanner to scan properly. I had to take a picture of the mower with a digital camera on the text setting. It it a brochure that listed 13 different attachments that would fit the early Landlord's and the 725's. I had to type up the description. Here it is:
MOTT Hammer Knife Mower
Here's a safety mower. Not a reel - not a rotary - but a combination of the best of both. Knives are light weight, free swinging-minimize the danger of flying sticks, stones and other debris by folding back on contact. Front mounted - cuts and shreds grass and weeds. mulches leaves before the tractor front wheels run them down. Adjustable caster wheels control cutting heights of 3/4", 1-1/16", 1-3/8", 1-11/16", 2" and 2-5/16". Manually operated clutch disengages cuttershaft. Belt drive from tractor PTO allows full speed and power to mower for cutting the tough jobs.
Order direct from MOTT CORPORATION
500 Shawmut Avenue La Grange, Illinois
Order Model F32
NOTE: FOR MODEL 725 ONLY!