Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Embarrassing moment #217

biggie_rat

I have worked on mowers for probably 20 years and Ridgerunners "Karate kick to reverse" reminded me of my first experience with a RUPP (about 19 years ago) - 5hp riding mower. If you are not familiar with a Rupp (don't bother to get familiar with a Rupp), I'll describe it as a self propelled push mower with a seat on top of the motor. Since I had never work on one of these, little did I know, when I got it running that there was any difference in it or any other clutch driven ....... 4 wheel mobile. From year one you are trained to push in on the clutch to stop. Not on a Rupp! I got it started with the rope starter, sat down, pushed in on the clutch, put it in gear (a one speed, forward/neutral/reverse)and off it went. I pushed in on the clutch to stop ........ To make a short story long, my only goal then was to find neutral. Forward, reverse, forward, reverse, bang into the workbench behind me, then into cartons of pop bottles, (keep pushin' on that clutch pedal) then into the gas can and floor jack, once into the garage door frame, back to the work bench, etc., etc. Finally I hit neutral. It really burnt some nice rubber. I still have a Rupp. No motor or seat, just the frame and four wheels made into a yard trailer. It has hauled a lot of rocks, dirt, etc., but since our January 5th ice storm it has hauled literaly tons of limbs. And, oh yeah, I accidently, while getting on old brown from the back (my rusty AMF ditch mower), kicked the gearshift into 3rd gear. It took off, threw me off (which i was only half on), and I landed on my behinder. Luckily my wife caught up with it half way across a 10 acre hay field. I think she was more worried about old brown than me. Old brown was unhurt. I ended up with a bruised ego. I got up and looked around to make sure the horses in the neighbors field weren't laughing at me. They were.

Okay, maybe some day I'll relate the story of jumping on my bike and the seat fell off. Nah, not gonna' go there.[:0]

If that thing was like the little mustangs I remember, The blade was direct drive and I have to wonder just how many people were hurt badly over that same thing ? One of my "Funniest" moments was when I repaired the first Troybuilt rear tine I had ever seen in person. The repair was large. Engine rebuild, Transmission seals and one gear, Replace worn tines etc. After the repairs were made, I was to take the unit to a patch we used to test tillers. I was impressed with how well it would dig LOL But unknown to me was the fact that this area was fill.. And about 4 or 5 inches down were old bricks etc. This tiller hit one or more of those bricks and did a wheely on the tines. Now a person used to a rear tine tiller knows to let go the handles and the tires will get a grip and stop/slow the machine, But front tine users do just the opposite. LOL.. I would not turn it loose even after I had fallen and was being dragged. You would be amazed to learn just how fast this thing could move on those tines ! By the time I understood that I was being dragged, I had left the tilled area and was on hard rocky red clay. The tiller loved it ! IT got faster. At last I rolled the throttle off and shut the thing down. My chest was skinned some but my elbows were in worse shape. The tiller was not harmed.. And yes, Most of the guys I worked with got there at least in time to see me getting up..

Great story thanks! Pulled the rope on a gocart in the garage one afternoon, not nowing my buddy had turned the idle way up. when it started it imediately took off out of the garage, down the driveway, across the street, through the ditch, leaped into the air and landed on a barbwire fence. The fence acted like a big catapult springing it back over the ditch into the road where it landed on its wheels. The engine still at about half throttle, it took off down the road just as straight as if it had an operator. I think we chased it about a quarter mile before it ran out of gas. I've always wondered just how far it would have gone if it had fuel in it.

I have one to share also. Last year I was going to deliver a large Bolens tractor I sold so I started to load it onto my utility trailer. The trailer was hooked up to my 1964 Allis B-10. I started up the ramps and it was one of those slow motion deals that happens during accidents and such. About two thirds up the ramps, they fell down flat to the ground. I really didn't know what happened at first until I looked up to see Allis hanging in the air by her trailer hitch. At this point a lot of things are running through my mind like "you idiot" and "do I yell for help and face being teased for years to come". I finally made the decision to continue to drive the Bolens onto the trailer. As you would expect Allis went back down, a little skewed, but it went back down. The trailer went back up and I learned two things that day; always hook the trailer to the truck when using the ramps. Two the Bolens large frame weighs more than an Allis B-10. When this was all over it made a great story to tell but I was quite shook up the rest of the evening.