Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Guys ??

rokon2813

Can any of you Kohler fans tell me if a Magnum 18 will bolt in, in place of a KT 17 ? Or what the differences are ?? TIA Dan

Dan, I can send you a photo later of one in a Simplicity 7117. I didn't make the changeover, but whoever did had to cut some of the frame to make way for the oil filter. The tractor will soon be on its' way to Cleveland, Ohio. It's a nice one. Maybe I can post it on here, I haven't tried any photos on simpletractors. I just came from an auction at an A-C dealer that is going out of business. Ended up with about $X,000 worth of stuff and hard to find items that only an older dealer would have setting (new) on the shelves. Not going to say what or how much until I unload. Other than getting the Mrs. truck stuck in the mud (2 wheel drive, rained most of the day and my 4WD was home and all cleaned up in the garage) it was a very good day. B.R.

It should fit, but you may have to cut away for the oil filter. I think Ambler has done this with several machines.

I guess I screwed up. [:0] I should have specified, I'm asking for a customer who is looking to replace his KT 17 in a John Deere. He's not real mechanically inclined, so modifications might give hom trouble. I know nothing about a JD 317, so I could only guess at the differences, and I've never seen the tractor unfortunately. Biggie, I do like the pics though. ;) Those mods wouldnt be too bad for me. Gives me ideas. :D

I think the KT17 is points and condenser and the Magnum is magneto. I believe there are wiring differences.

HI, You will need to convert from the battery ignition to electronic/magneto. You can change the switch and some wiring and do it. We sell a kit that you connect 4 wires and in 10 minutes its done. 29.95 with complete instrucions. Al Eden

When were the Magnums made? Are the Magnums a good engine? I'm looking for a replacement engine for a KT-17 in my AC 917. Has anyone made a list of the replacement engines for a KT-17? (for the feeble minded tractor-nut that has limited skills... like me). Those modifications looked easy and with Als kit, I would definately be interested in a Magnum. John H

I have a 20Hp Sunstar Motor.Is that magneto ignition? If so AL will your kit work on it ? I don't know what machine that I will put it in yet. But I do not have power module for it.

I can't answer for a deere. The magnum will replace the kt in the sovereign. I think that in the pic they went overboard on the frame cut. You need the right spec number. The sunstar engine bolts right in and al's kit means you don't have to think, he's done that for you.

Hi, The Magnums are an update of the KTS. Pretty much the same as the KT except they revised the flywheel and cooling fan. The flywheel also has magnets for the electronic igniton module. The fins were redesigned on the cylinder heads for more efficient cooling. Most of the revisions were cooling related. Is probably considered a step up from the KT, but not in the CH league. Al Eden

Hey Al, what is the going rate for a used Magnum? and what is a CH? What would you expect to pay for a used CH? Thanks for your help and insight. JH

John, I don't know what they would bring. We rarely have a used engine, we often have used equipment that could use one. I have never had a used CH, aka Kohler Command, though we sell quite a few of them new with our kits. Al Eden