Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Modern Day Engine ??

MPH

I have a gen/dc welder with a 9hp Honda engine on it that hasn't run in 3 years. Brought it into the shop last Dec to let it warm up then planned on firing it up just to run it for awhile. Wound up back at work before I got it done, so today I checked the oil, fine, loaded it on my 2 wheel cart, which tipped it on its side, pulled it outside, fired right off half through the first pull, great. Then it died, well, the gas shut off doen't say on or off so I moved it the other way, started back up then died. After a couple more times of this it wouldn't start, pulled the plug out, put it in the wire and found no spark. For whatever reason I checked the oil again and man did it come running out, guess tipping it on it's side wasn't too bright. Now my Question is, did being over full with gas/oil do something to the automatic oil shutdown gismo?.. Yes, I did drain the crankcase and put in new oil.. Thanks..

Understand that this is only a guess, But based on seeing pretty much the same over and over. Gas flooded into the crankcase while the unit was on its side. When you tried to start it with the crankcase over full, You pushed the much thinner gas/oil mix out through the crankcase vent and into the carb/filter area. If the filter is paper, the oil will cause the engine to run choked all the time. This added to the fuel/oil mix is flooding your engine. Now I've been away from main stream small engine schools etc for a while but something you may want to be careful of in the future is checking ignition by pulling the plug and laying the loose wire/plug on the engine and pulling the crank. This can cause some ignition modules to burn out. I don't know that your engine is like this but many were at one time. Likely someone else can explain it better. In any case, a small Briggs spark tester or such is much cheaper and safer. Pull your air filter and after a few pulls, I think your engine will run. Good luck Marty.. Keep the northern fleet working !

Marty, I'm not familiar with the ign. on this engine. But I'd guese if you disconect the wire on the oil sending unit it won't be able to ground out and if this is the problem it should fire. I'd also check the secondary wire around the engine to see if there are anything else that might be grounding it out or some unknown tipover switch or something on it. Best guese. Dave.

I'm thinking maybe a oil level float has stuck up, and tripping the unit on it's other side may right the float for the oil level shut down . But thats just a guess. I don't have the particulars on how the shutdown system functions. I would suspect that the electrical system is still in good shape but perhaps a contact set dropped out from it holding position but i doubt that. A call to a Honda dealership should give you a test method to prove the oil level shut down is the culprit. With that info you will have a possible work around.

Well, I cut the wire going to the oil shut down gismo and it fired right up. No bottom oil pan like a good ole briggs to pop off and see what gismo looks like so guess it'll just be there.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Well, I cut the wire going to the oil shut down gismo and it fired right up. No bottom oil pan like a good ole briggs to pop off and see what gismo looks like so guess it'll just be there.
Without any more info than that i would have done the same thing. You don't need a low oil shut down gizmo anyway. If anyone knows more about oil more than you do, on this site, they have been pretty quiet. That said. Do ya think that maybe the gismo has a float like a carburetor and the pin seat for the float support may be missing a member? Any ways, this thread will help the next guy who has that situation.

I have used Honda generators at work and have found that they have a fuel shut-off lever located near choke, that if not turned off when not in use will allow gas tank to drain into crankcase with oil. You must drain all oil/gas and start over if this happens. Seems like a poor design to me.