Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller Drive Pulley

FrankP

What size is the drive pulley for a 36" tiller. This is the pulley mounted on the bevel gear box. Thanks Frank

The older round hood tiller where the engagment for the tiller is on the tractor uses a 3 inch pulley, the tiller that has the engagement clutch on the tiller itself is a 5 inch pulley.

Thanks, I am running a Big Ten and a 36" Tiller. This is the one that has a single belt. There is a 5" pulley on the Bevel Gear Box. That Tiller when it hits the ground, It send you running. The tiller pushes the tractor along, and it is a bit scary how it throws the tractor forward. I also have a 32" tiller on another Big Ten that runs on a 3" pulley. This one seems to work fine. Really my question on the bigger tiller, is about that 5" pulley. That may be spinning the thing faster. What are you thoughts. Thanks again. Frank

If the tiller clutch is on the tractor like in the picture above it uses a 3 inch pulley. Maybe you could slow your ground speed down and that would help or try not going to deep in a single pass.

Ray, Thanks, the one in the pictuere is on my 32" tiller. It works fine. And it has a 3" pulley on the drive end. That one has 2 belts to make up the power take off drive. It is the 36" tiller that is the one belt that goes from bevel gear box to tiller that is the problem. Thanks Frank

Frank, If your tiller is not operated with the lift in a float position, it will propell the tractor forward as you describe. Jim

Frank, that is the same tiller that I have and the pulley that Simplicity sold me is part number 164202 and is a 5 inch pulley. the only thing that I can thank of that would send the tiller running is ground speed and trying to till to deep in a single pass. If the soil is real hard and dry I have that problem with my troybilt.
quote:
Originally posted by JimDk
Frank, If your tiller is not operated with the lift in a float position, it will propell the tractor forward as you describe. Jim
Jim, is also correct about the hydraulic lift needs to be in the float position.

Thanks for the info. There is a skill to running the tiller!. The hydrolic lift does force the tiller down and will take a bite out. I actually took a set of the tiller tines off, and was taking a more shallow pass. I felt like I got a little more control that way. I also put the High Low in to low one and let it start moving before i slowly lowered the tiller. Again, that felt like it had a bit more control. The ground that I was tilling had been compressed by a bobcat carrying rocks. It was a clay, dry and hard. After it broke up some of that hard pan it would till easier. I guess from all of this, I have the correct pulley I just need a better skill with the tiller. Thank again to all. Frank

This brings a question to mind. I've already plowed my garden with my 916, and I intend to till it when God decides we've had enough rain for a while. I read that the hydraulic lift has to be in the float position. What is that, and how it it achieved? My hydraulic lever is on the left side of the tractor, and I can't think off-hand of any float position. The implement just moves up and down as I move the lever.

Steven, the hydraulic lift has to be in the float postion on the old FDT`s they use a solid steel lift rod, The 916 has no float postion it uses a cable to lift the implement if you hit a rock or hard ground the tiller will beable to float or move because of the cable.