Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
ZippoVarga

Abreviations and tech talk terms.....

ZippoVarga
Being fairly new in this group I've found numerous synonyms, abreviations and the like being used with great frequency. Now, i've managed to decipher a few of them on my own but for all the new comers and those not willing to ask. I'm asking. Can those of you who have been the forefathers of this great sight shed some light with some of the abreviations you all use so that we can all understand? BGB? Assuming that's Bevel Gear Box? RBT Runing board Tractor FDT Foot Draggin Tractor And so on? I appreciate every one's help in assisting us amatures!!! Perhaps even a glossary of terms can be added to the sight for people to refer to? Zippo

Brent_Baumer
SG = Starter Generator K241, K301, K321, K341, K361 = Kohler single cylinder engines KT17, KT19 = Kohler twins HB = Early allis b series hydro's Vickers = early hydro trannies used up to about '75 Sunstrand = later hydro trannies Can't think of any more off the top of my head

johnmonkey
how about NOS, and there is another one that I see and right now can not remember, but it has something to do "original from factory", OEM (thats what I was thinking). I have been her e a while and still don't know these. JH

rokon2813
NOS is New Old Stock. Brand new part thats been sitting somewhere unused for a long time. OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer. Usually a part that has no aftermarket equivalent. Has to be gotten from the original manufacturer of the machine. NLA No Longer Available. That particular maker is no longer making that part. Others you might see here, but more on ebay; NIB New In Box BIN Buy It Now Any others ?? :D

Nick
quote:
Originally posted by johnmonkey
how about NOS, and there is another one that I see and right now can not remember, but it has something to do "original from factory", OEM (thats what I was thinking). I have been her e a while and still don't know these. JH
NOS means New Old Stock Meaning the part was made years ago, and never used. OEM means Original Equiptment Manufactuer Meaning if you buy a part for your Landlord that has OEM on it, it was made by Simplicity. Made to OEM specs (specs, there's another one) means it was made by another company exactly as the original. Specs mean specifications. It took me the longest time to realize what an FDT and an RBT was.

ZippoVarga
Again, I appreciate the entries so far. Being in the automotive field I had a handle on the OEM and NOS, and the NIB and BIN from ebay. Thanks guys! Won't be long and i'll be right up thar with all ya'll on the slang. Thanks again!!

HubbardRA
I thought it was the "blue wrench". B/S is usually obvious - Briggs & Stratton Then there is the numbering. 7016 = Simplicity 7016, 716 = AC 716, both essentially the same tractor with maybe different engines. 7116 Simp = 916 AC. These are a bit confusing, but you'll learn.