Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Abreviations and tech talk terms.....

ZippoVarga

Being fairly new in this group I've found numerous synonyms, abreviations and the like being used with great frequency. Now, i've managed to decipher a few of them on my own but for all the new comers and those not willing to ask. I'm asking. Can those of you who have been the forefathers of this great sight shed some light with some of the abreviations you all use so that we can all understand? BGB? Assuming that's Bevel Gear Box? RBT Runing board Tractor FDT Foot Draggin Tractor And so on? I appreciate every one's help in assisting us amatures!!! Perhaps even a glossary of terms can be added to the sight for people to refer to? Zippo

Looks like your going fit right around here seein's how well you've taken to our abbrevations after so little time. Here's another one for you: S/G = starter generator.:p:D

SG = Starter Generator K241, K301, K321, K341, K361 = Kohler single cylinder engines KT17, KT19 = Kohler twins HB = Early allis b series hydro's Vickers = early hydro trannies used up to about '75 Sunstrand = later hydro trannies Can't think of any more off the top of my head

Thanks Reed and Brent, we're off to a good start. I did quite a bit of head scratchin at forst, but on occasion someone messes up and spells it out.....lol

how about NOS, and there is another one that I see and right now can not remember, but it has something to do "original from factory", OEM (thats what I was thinking). I have been her e a while and still don't know these. JH

NOS is New Old Stock. Brand new part thats been sitting somewhere unused for a long time. OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer. Usually a part that has no aftermarket equivalent. Has to be gotten from the original manufacturer of the machine. NLA No Longer Available. That particular maker is no longer making that part. Others you might see here, but more on ebay; NIB New In Box BIN Buy It Now Any others ?? :D

quote:
Originally posted by johnmonkey
how about NOS, and there is another one that I see and right now can not remember, but it has something to do "original from factory", OEM (thats what I was thinking). I have been her e a while and still don't know these. JH
NOS means New Old Stock Meaning the part was made years ago, and never used. OEM means Original Equiptment Manufactuer Meaning if you buy a part for your Landlord that has OEM on it, it was made by Simplicity. Made to OEM specs (specs, there's another one) means it was made by another company exactly as the original. Specs mean specifications. It took me the longest time to realize what an FDT and an RBT was.

From a previous discussion on here long ago remeniscing about the days when I lived in Milwaukee: FIB FISH You cheeseheads know what these are........

Again, I appreciate the entries so far. Being in the automotive field I had a handle on the OEM and NOS, and the NIB and BIN from ebay. Thanks guys! Won't be long and i'll be right up thar with all ya'll on the slang. Thanks again!!

I sure know what a fish is and a fib.After all I live near Door County.But there a few good ones out there.Bob

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
There is that one, CRS, but I can't for the life of me remember what it stands for......
I Can't Remember what CRS stands for either.

I've seen this on other sites,don't see it here often but RTFM! = READ THE ----ING MANUAL! And it's not hard to figure out what a Crapsman tractor is. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by dhardin
The most popular tool i have is a "smoke wrench" or better know as a cuting tourch.
We always called it a "Gas Ax"

I thought it was the "blue wrench". B/S is usually obvious - Briggs & Stratton Then there is the numbering. 7016 = Simplicity 7016, 716 = AC 716, both essentially the same tractor with maybe different engines. 7116 Simp = 916 AC. These are a bit confusing, but you'll learn.