Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

York Rake

dav

Have a line on a couple of York rakes. I will be going to check them out next sunday after the bunny hunt. One is a tow behind, hopefully the same as the one in the pictures in What Fits/Attachments. The other is for a Sears Suburban(figures I find the good stuff when I'm trying to sell the tractor}. Presumably it's a cat "0" hitch. Anything special I should look for on a York rake? Like do the tines get weak with age and if so how can I tell? If it's bent, are they straightenable? He also has some sort of earthcavator that I'm interested in. Plus a bunch of hinted at but not itemized tractors and attachments. In anticipation, I have borrowed a full size pick up(mine wouldn't survive a long trip anyway) and I might roll the wife's Landlord off the trailer.(She now says I can have the whole darn tractor if I get her something to mow the lawn with. hehheh she's not holding out for the dishwasher. And I can mow the entire yard in less than half an hour with a push mower!!) Sure hope the snow is out of his back 40 next weekend!

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, another NE find. Went to Worcester to connect with the chap who bought my B10. Then went to the guy in Williamsburg, Ma. I had called him at 8am to tell him I was on the way. When I got there he didn;t have the tow behind York rake at his house, which he said he would. I was bummed! Says he will bring it to NH in the near future. He did have the Sears York rake but I'm trying to get rid of the Sears so I'm not gonna buy anything else for it. He also had an earthcavater but I decided not to make him an offer at that time. Maybe if he does bring the York I'll make an offer then. 'sides, I don't have anything to do with the earthcavater that I can't do with the dozer blade i got from Dutch. He has a slew of Sears Suburban tractors and a scattering of other brands. The only Simp is a round hood Landlord with mower(hasn't run in quite a while. He does have 3 of those Mott flail mowers like someone in the club is adapting to a Simplicity. Don't remember what he wants for them. Borrowed a fullsize Chevy for the trip. $50 of gas and 300 plus miles for nothing! So this trip was a washout. But it got me out of the house so it wasn't totally wasted! Think I'll call this a practice trip for the time I get a really big score!

I'm looking for a cat.0, York Rake, I don't suppose this guy would be interested in shipping it. If you think maybe, I'd like some contact info as well please.

The earthcavator had a homemade hitch that might fit a cat 0. There were no links with it and one tooth was off but the shank was still there. The York rake is supposed to be a cat 0 for the Sears/David Braley Suburban. There was something on top of it-a mower deck orsomething- so I didn;t get a good look at it. He didn't seem interested in the hassles of shipping. Will find his contact info tomorrow-it's out in the greenhouse.

John, Have you seen this one from Northern Tool. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200305325&R=200305325 Steve

The chap's name is Steve Jones. His email is dozerspj@aol.com. In his initial reply to me he mentioned the scarcity of both the earthcavator and the cat o york rake and that the price was $250 each. I did not talk money with him. However, my impression is that he won't move much on price. Mind you that I am usually wrong on second guessing people. hope you succeed in getting the attachments you want.

quote:
Originally posted by stevenj
John, Have you seen this one from Northern Tool. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200305325&R=200305325 Steve
I new Northern carries them but I hadn't looked in quite awhile. It seems that every body wants retail for their used ones. I will probably just buy some replacement tines and build one. Thanks guys!