Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Storing snow-cab for warm weather

roma3112

I was just wondering what those of you that have snow cabs do with them when spring is here. I know that some leave the units on and i rember that one member removes it and hangs it from the shop celing. I do not want to take it appart and I am leaning toward hanging it up all in one peice. I am a bit leary on cracking the fiberglass roof, how do you fokls have your cab set up, those of you that hang it up. Is there some kind of supports/metal reinforcing that you all use, or are the eye-bolts somply drilled into the roof with a large washer underneath? thanks for the imput john

The first few years I hung mine from the ceiling, then for the next 8 years or so I just pulled it off in one piece, and layed it on it's side on a shelf in the shop. I always covered it with visqueen to keep dust from settling on the windows. Last summer I pulled the curtains, storing them in trash bags, and left the top and frame on for sunshade. Without the curtains on, the frame moves around a lot more, and the rear spreader brackets cracked, and need to be repaired, which is really a minor thing. This is the 13th season for it and it has never suffered any damage to the top or windows.

I have a soft cab made for a sears suburban. I remove mine and take it apart and store it in my basement. You need to find a cool dry place, that isn't going t be in the way. Elon

Here is my cab stored for the summer. 4 eyebolts and washers, no bracing. Have not had any cracks or damage to the top. Hope this helps.

MIKE thanks that was the post i was thinking of for mine, i was not sure if i had to brace the back to prevent cracking. thanks for the pic john

Because I pull up the cab from the middle I use a spreader (piece of wood across the top to prevent side load on the top of the cab. I store both the fiberglas top cab and soft top cab this way.

I store 3 cabs.