Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB Fluid???

deerhunter

Just curious how often everyone changes the fluid in their BGB's. I've been doing it at the start of the mowing season. Is this overkill??

I would hate to call it overkill because most tractors I have bought lately were lucky if there was any oil in BGB`s. It is kind of like the rear differential in a car or truck you don`t change them every year but make sure there is enough in them.

Good question...the repair manual doesn't say diddly. I know that all oils begin to break down and loose there respective lubricating values over time due to heat, foreign materials, and repetitive heating and cooling. I think it's a judgement call. My rule of thumb is that these machines were probably intended to perform under duress for three to five hours a week, or maybe less that 250 hrs/yr. That's ten oil changes/air cleaner services right there and at least 5 lube services. I would say that every 250 hrs of operation might be a marker. I know that it should be checked often and that the rear end ought to be kept clean to help identify any stains, seeps, or leaks. I dunno...good question. I think your fine and doing the right thing. Do you take care of the rest of the machine that well?

Tim, I would recommend running a high grade full synthetic gear oil (like Red Line) in conjunction with a magnetic drain plug. I'd also change the oil every 250 hours or so siding towards the conservative. Always keep it full (that front needle bearing on the input shaft gets starved for oil if not). Tom(PK)

I use 80 w pennzoil gear lube. On one of my machines I had to rebuild the BGB so I'm always cautious. We all know the cost associated with a rebuild. Since the re-build I've always changed it at the start of the season. I don't run my machines in the winter so I cut grass once a week for 6 months of the year at 3 hours per cut. Doing the math that's 72 hours per year. I should be good. I think I'll add the magnetic plug & step up on checking the level. Thanks Guys!!

Most of the time when I get a new tractor I immediately change it to make sure that it is in good condition. In other times once per year and 80w-90w

A side note as to BGB oil, you have to be careful depending on the age of your machine (in my case 2 sovereigns) the newer tractors use simplicity multipurpose hydrolic/trans fluid whereas the old tractors use 80w/90wt. I would check your owners manual esp if you have somthing on the new end of things.

John, That is interesting about the Simplicity Multipurpose oil and the 80-90W. I just rebuilt a BGB a month ago in my 917H and it calls for the mulitipurpose oil, the back of the can says you can use it in all BGB`s. My delear told me after I put it in there that he would drain it and go with the 80-90 W oil because to him it seems that the BGB`s fail alot sooner with the multipurpose oil than with the 80-90W. It would be interesting to hear some comments from other members on hear about what they think about this oil issue.

RAY in my case the machine was under warranty until this december so i was sure to use what was in the manual. I too would be interested in knowing what the other members felt about this, I know the reccomended oil (multipurpose) seems much thinner then the 80w/90wt so there may be issues.

I've found that the upper areas of any gear box often becomes starved with the thinner oils. They simply dont carry against gravity as well as a good quality gear oil. I typically use valvoline 80-90 then through the season I top it off with Lucas gear oil of the same viscocity. Knock on wood......both my BGB's have never been broken down for any repairs and there is usually only a film on the magnetic drain plug. Just my two cents worth.

Have I been in the dark? All of a sudden I'm hearing all kinda great stuff about this Lucas oil. Wish it was in the gear reducer we just replaced here at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer....Lucas has oils for everything. And your local automotive parts dealer will most likely carry a large selection. I've stopped leaking power steering pump seals, axle seals, valve cover gasket seals and end shaft seal leaks with Lucas. If everything else is ok and the gaskets and seals are just dried out the Lucas oils recondition the seals and gaskets like nothing else i've ever tried before. And just for the record.....Rislone is FANTASTIC for clearing up carbon build up in the heads of these older engines. Just put in 4oz with an oil change and you'll notice easier starts in any weather and increased compression in weak engines as it helps to clear the carbon build up on the valves. It's not a miracle worker for smokers but it is great for preventative maintenance from the inside out. Again, this can be found at your local automotive parts store, just ask for it. And just another little side note. Axle grease.......use the marine grade that you would use on your boat trailer. Our tractors often wind up in the mud and dirt. This marine grade grease provides a barrier against contaminants that far exceed what normal grease can claim and you can even get grease caps with the zerk built right in to make it REAL easy to grease those bearings.