Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheel Lift

Bunky

Has anyone built a rear Wheel lift to move dead tractors??? I'm thinking of making a Wheel lift to lift the front tires of non running tractors to move them around.. Just not sure if you will be able to lift it. ...

Here is one in show and tell http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46440 . I have a friend that has something simular to this to move tractors but he uses a boat winch instead of a bottle jack.

kinda like this?

this is simply a solid rod about 18 inches long, with a hook. It's a bit heavy but with two hands I could lift a Braodmoor.:D Elon

One time long ago I was at a friend's house and he wanted to put the tire chains on his tractor(which ended up being my first Simplicity, the 3310 V that Dan now has for a puller...). I picked up the rear end so he could slide the chains under the tires.... Of course this was the same friend whp had rebuilt his VW Bug engine and wanted help putting it back in. I went over to his house and the engine was sitting on his workbench, ready to install. I looked it over and asked him where he wanted it. He turned around and started walking towards the rear of the car(front end wat towards bench), saying "I guess over here somewhere. I said "Where exactly do you want it???" When he turned around and was quite suprised to see me standing there holding the engine at the back of the car, where I had carried it from the bench......

To build a wheel lift would be a tough one because the lift needs to be a good ways back to clear when you turn. But a Dolly ! Thats the idea so I'm thinking. Build it much like the car dollys are built but with a come along mounted to the tongue for loading and holding..

Bunky are you thinking ahead for when you get a deal on one of those green tractors?Thinking you might need a wheel lift huh? :D:D:D:D

I toyed with the idea a while back, now you got me to thinking. So I did a quick sketch of what was in my head. I would use 1 1/2" tube for the frame and tow bar, turn c-chanel upside down to cradle the front axle. Its got to have a pivit so you can round corners. I don't know if the rear stinger (whats it realy called?) will lift that much weight. Another option would be like the lower drawing where you have a tow bar that will have slide on wheel cradels and slide on axel cradels. slide them into place then tighten the T-bolt. When its adjustable it will fit many witdhs of tractors. This is what I came up with, hope it helps.

I like the Idea of the axle lift that would be better then a wheel lift if you have any without front wheels.. And mowerman I'm thinking of moving any of them not just the green or orange ones

both of them look good but how about the 1" bar with 2 chains and hooks to hook to the front axle i like the set-up for the wrecker style but it might be to heavy once you put a tractor on it or would the levig of the swivle point make it easier to lift?

quote:
Originally posted by toad270
both of them look good but how about the 1" bar with 2 chains and hooks to hook to the front axle i like the set-up for the wrecker style but it might be to heavy once you put a tractor on it or would the levig of the swivle point make it easier to lift?
A swivel won't multiple leverage, but pulleys will. If the rear lift alone will lift 200lbs, adding one pulley will increase that to 400lbs.

The swivlwe is the most important part of the lift. With out the swivle you will not be able to turn with out something giving or braking.

It definatly has to pivot.. and after looking at Mowerman's Broadmoors it the axle lift wouldn't work on a broadmoor So I think I will have to go with the Wheel style...

Hi, We have a Jungle Jack from Jungle Jims. I'll try to post a picture of it soon, It is just a handle on an axle with an arm that sticks out forward. Works like a 2 wheeler for moving boxes. Has a pin that will go in a drawbar hitch hole, or a hook fro the front. Will go over center to hold the unit up. Al Eden

Here is a picture of a tow bar that I made from odds and ends a couple of years ago. I used the lift brackets from a junk mower deck and some 1 x .25in. flat. The lift arm could be a little longer to raise the front of the towed tractor a little higher, but it works. It comes in handy to move dead tractors. I use my B112 with hyd. lift as a tow unit. I do not have enough arm strength to use a manual lift. Jim