Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dbf

Stinger Weight and Deck Update

dbf
The 2110 I bought recently had a little 3" dia round stock weight that was about 1 foot long welded in as the stinger. It weighed about 25 lbs. I understand fully it’s purpose; as a counter weight and to act as ‘back end’ weight. Today was beautiful. Bright and sunny and I decided to see if I could add some poundage back there. First, I removed the stinger (angle grinder and hacksaw)[V]. I had 2, 50 lb. home made plates that I used to use as part of my weight-training regime. I’ve attached them both to the old location of the stinger and I was amazed the difference it made with weight transfer. Launching in second gear at ¼ throttle is reminiscent of my days years ago popping wheelies with my first dirt bike. My wife and daughter laughed their a&*es off when they looked out and seen me bouncing the front wheels off the driveway!! It is much easier it steer now as well. I don’t have any snow to plow, so I cannot comment on how the added weight would help in that regard. Do most guys leave the weight on during the mowing season? I can’t really see the requirement for the added lbs in the summer. Mind you, my lawn is flat, with no inclines at all. As well, I bought a cross drive belt (a 51 inch Gates Red) for the deck yesterday and cobbled that up. Aside from the 2 outboard rollers being seized, it worked like a charm. I have it all adjusted up and ready to go. There were no ‘unusual’ vibrations or sounds. I never changed the bearings on the arbors yet, but I’m certain Murphy will pay a visit the first time I mow the grass. Thought I’d let you all in on my progress with the deck.

HubbardRA
Note of caution: Weight added to the chassis does put more strain on the bearings in the tranny and the rear axle. I also use chassis weights, when I need them, but remove them when not needed. I feel that this will reduce wear on the drivetrain components when the additional weight is not needed. Wheel weights and loaded tires apply their added weight directly to the ground and not through the bearings. These can be left on year round. Only problem with them is that they do put additional load on the drive tube and diff if the clutch is released hard.

ka9bxg
You need to drive a simplicity wonderboy 575.When you pull back on the joy stick it is quite a ride.Without the mower deck on it will pull a good wheelie.They sure are a lot of fun.Bob