Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
thedaddycat

Spike harrow

thedaddycat
I have a spike harrow that I traded with Elon for. It looks like it was set up to be towed behind the B-1 he got as part of that deal. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46401 I have looked on the ST site and it seems that this was an implement for the two-wheeled walking tractors but not for the four wheeled tractors. Does anyone know if these harrows were ever offered as an implement for the four wheeled tractors? http://www.simpletractors.com/Walkers/spike_tooth.htm In reading the directions on the page linked above, it seems that this was meant to be attached to the cultivator frame, or at least part of it. I know that the cultivators were offered as garden tractor implements, but can't seem to find the spike harrow though I do have a vague recollection of seeing a pic of one being towed by an early garden tractor.... Can anyone help me out here?? Thanks...

msiebern
The only referances I have been able to find for 4 wheel tractors was a much lighter one under the "allied attachemnts" area.

The one similar to what you have listed I only found under the walkers. Of course the moldboard plow I just got from RayS shows it used for both 2 wheel walkers and 4 wheel riders by changing 2 bolt locations. I would think many of the walker attachements should work fine with a sleeve hitch.

rokon2813
Kirk, I cant find anything on ST either. In msieberns last pic, it looks like you would only need the one front mount part to use it "Brinley" style. As for "towable" units, most I've ever seen were meant to be lifted out of the ground, either brinley style, or 3 point hitch style like David Bradley, Sears Suburban etc. The only actual towable units I have seen, had a frame around them, similar to an old "drag" with a lever, so you could lever the spikes out of the ground and drag it wherever without digging. No Simp or A/C though Anyway, If you decide to do anything with it, and need some ideas, get in touch either here or by PM. 4 different methods come to mind right now :D 1 attaching to your cultivator 2 chain lift (use it as is) 3 brinley type lift 4 drag style frame around it 2 methods of which you should have the stuff for and the other 2 I should ;)

thedaddycat
Part of the situation I'm sorting out is that the front part was not attached correctly. If the spikes were sitting flat on the ground, the hitch was angled up at about a 30 degree angle. Another thing is that in my link you can see that there are two main beams(cross bars) with the angle adjuster rod running between them, and the rearward beam is located above the center row of tines. In the color pics above there is only one main beam located above the front row of tines and no adjuster. I'm thinking that either a Brinley hitch with the lift rod(found on newer tractors, I think on the 3400 and newer) or the old style sleeve hitch with the lift chain (3300 and earlier) would both work just fine. The difference in which hitch is used is based on the rear lift, which may or may not have the hole below the tube for the lift rod used on the Brinley hitches. Either style will accept the normal 1" shaft with the lift chain.

rokon2813
The difference as I see it, The one with the single bar is a "stand alone" unit, while the other is a multipurpose type thing putting the spike harrows on the cutivator framework. Lndscpr has or had the second type cultivator for a walker. They appear to me to work the same, difference being, to adjust the one with the single bar, you need wrenches as opposed to the crank on the other.