Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

68 simp color

charby5

Hi guys, I went to the local Simplicity dealer yesterday to get some paint for a 1968 simplicity 3012 sov and didnt get much acomplished. The guy behind the counter didnt seem to have a bunch of info on that old of tractors. he showed me like three or four differant names like (simp orange , corprate orange ,and deep orange. but couldn`t tell me which color was for what year of tractor. So I`m asking if anyone out there that can shed some light and give me a paint name or paint number that I can use. Thanks in advance.. Charby..

I am pretty sure that it is the deep orange. Corprate is used on Allis. If you can finf or download a old parts manual they show a can of paint for touch up in there and you could use the number to get what you need. Your best bet would be to fined a piece of metal on the tractor where the sun hasn`t faded the paint and take it to a good quality automotive paint supplier in your area and have them match the paint for you.

Paint is a much discussed topic, try a search of the forums or look in Tech Tips. I know there is a lot of discussion on paint out there....

The factory paint is no longer available. I believe it was called Simplicity Red - I don't have a can in front of me for the part number. I found a few old cans a while back. Basically just good for using to match modern paint to. The suggestion of matching to a buffed up original part is your best bet. Tim

On my latest tractor repaint job I used 1969 Chevrolet (Carosel Orange, also called Hugger Orange) and it matched the paint on my 3112 almost exactly. Any auto paint supply store should have the paint code. I have the paint code out in the garage if you are interested I can look it up for you tomorrow.

I painted a 1969 Yeoman and a 1973 Broadmore.I got the paint from a dealer,it was called Powder orange,part no.1685589.It matched real well.Just my 2 cents worth.

If you go to ACE hardware, they sell Allis Chalmers orange. It's is all I use. They have it in sprey cans, or by the quart. It's not an exact match but it's pretty close. Elon

I finally dug out my NOS can of paint. I know that it's probably 10 years old or so. It is part number 103028, and is called Simplicity Red. That's what was used from the mid 1960's up into the '70's - as far as I know. I am not sure about the real old stuff like a model 700 - I have never seen a good enough original to tell. Powder orange was used in the 80's and maybe up into the early 90's. Again, for a restoration, use a buffed up original part and have a good paint supplier match it to that with a custom mix. Tim

also, if there is a tractor-supply around there, you can buy it from there for a very reasonable price. its just called allis-orange.......... KohlerMan

I bought the tractor supply allis orange to paint my 727 broadmoor, it's $20.00 a gal. It's emanel paint. it looks good to me but don't know if its orginal for the year and model of tractor. By the way don't forget to get the hardener for the paint.

There are two oranges available through Agco dealers, Persion orange and Corporate orange. I believe the corporate orange is lighter and was used later than the Persion orange. These are both available through Martin Senour automotive paints as is Simplicity red. The code for corporate orange in acrylic enamel is 99L54151. The automotive enamel is more expensive than equipment enamels.