Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

WalMart Battery Question

CarlH

For you folks that are using a 51R battery instead of the 22NF. It doesn't look to me that the 51R has the hold-down tabs at the ends like the 22NF battery. How are you clamping the 51R in? Are you just assuming that it's not going to be upside down;) and it doesn't matter if it's held down securely? Thanks

Carl, I don't plan on tractoring upside down. However, if I can't secure the batt. I wrap it in a piece of old intertube and leave a flap to wrap over the top. Should you tipp over, this would keep it from shorting till you can right it up.

Kind of off subject but I just bought a new battery at Wally World and then saw a Champion battery at K Mart for $10 more but it had a full 24 month r4eplacement and a 72 month prorated warranty. I have found ;that the Wally World batteries last only about 18 months and have ;only a 6 month and 12 months warranty. Dan

I have an autozone group 51 in use in my B110, I got it in my 17GTHL and it had an 8 year prorated warranty. If I buy another I think I'll get one there. I've been overall very pleased with the batteries from Autozone much more than those made by exide. As far as strapping them in, I don't think the batteries are really secure on any of my tractors. I never thought about how they would cause a short if you rolled, although after rolling one of these a short may be the least of your problems.

Most likely that Autozone battery was made by Exide Corp as a private line brand. Exide is A top line battery mfg and ownes the latest battery technology.

Carl, After looking for batteries I came to the same conclusion and spent the extra $10 for the 22NF.

Never had much luck with WalMart batteries,or even Exide brands.The tractor batteries last about 12 monts or so,as stated above.Die Hards are good,don't know if they're Exide's or not.

I'm not to interested who makes the battery but I am interested in the warranty. These smaller batteries seem to last no more than 2 years so any warranty over that is what I will be looking for. The Wall Mart batteries are only 6 months and up to 12 months pro-rated. I don't see that as a good deal even if it is an Exide. Dan

if you keep a battery in good condition it will more than outlast the warranty vibration is what I see as the killer on tractors.

Marty: Your cryptic answer speaks volumes, considering where you live: "DieHard". Indeed! I've tied the battery down with one of those heavy, black rubber bungies with the steel "S" hooks at each end. And that works pretty well--in my truck as well, come to think of it, as I lack a hold down there as well. I too wind up with these little batteries that don't seem healthy beyond two years--but I've never tried a DieHard. While rollover would certainly present bigger problems than a short, generally (and knock on wood three times) you'd never want such an unhappy event to be capped by a hydrogen gas explosion.[:0] I think I'll explore the flap of innertube over the terminals, in the future. Good one, D-17 Dave!

The two 51R batteries that I purchased at Wally World had three year full replacement and I think it was either 7 or 8 year pro-rated. These are sold as automobile batteries, not garden tractor batteries. I also purched their garden tractor batteries and they only last 1 to 2 years at most. I have also fabricated several types of battery tiedowns. "J" bolts that hook underneath and go thru a flat strap across the top, bungie cords, perforated strapping, etc. This is all dependent on which tractor, and how much room I have to work with.

The Wal mart batteries are not Exide The last I knew The Diehards were made by Exide. If I remember right they were made by interstate and Diehard switched to Exide around 1898-99. NAPA batteries are made by Exide.

I've had the best luck using DieHards from Sears. Almost $70 bucks, but it's been going strong for 5 years now, so I guess you really do get what you pay for. It seems to help that it's a small car battery and not just a lawn and garden battery. Besides, both of my Simplicity machines are set up for a post-top battery, not the screw-type most lawn tractors use these days. The DieHard also has the molded in "feet" for the stock battery tray clamps to grab onto.

WALMART top post staarted up yesterday, bought new in 1997 Purchased SEARS DIEHARD last night for another tractor that has the other kinda post. Will have to see...

Unless I'm mistaken, the Walmart batteries are the same as the "Interstate" brand, though I'm not sure who makes them... The 51R in my HB-216 is from Walmart. It's at least 5 years old, of not 6, and that is still my easiest starting tractor...

Thanks to all. The answer I was looking for is that some 51R batteries have the hold-down tabs. I shall shop accordingly.

Carl, I have seen some of these batteries that come with an extra piece that snaps onto the bottom of the battery to create the hold down feet you would need. You might want to inquire about that when you are shopping around.

I use Fleet Farm Durastart 22NF batteries and I get at least 5 years out of them. We had a scary experience with a 3314S. I had just put the battery back in the tractor (I planned to clamped down later). My son, then 6 years old ask to take the tractor for a spin...I said go ahead. The next thing I know it is suddenly silent (I can't hear the tractor) and I go looking for what happened. Less than 75 feet from me is my son standing next to the tractor laying on its side. My son was driving down hill and the tractor jumped out of gear and started to free wheel down the hill, I did not have the extension blocks on the clutch pedal on this tractor (we had them on the pulling tractors but thought it was not necessary on the working tractors) and my son was not able to depress the clutch pedal hard enough to fully engage the brake. He decided that he needed to turn the tractor back up hill or it would get going way to fast. The tractor tipped over in the turn! He was OK (jumped off), but he said that there was a very large and loud spark (probably when the battery fell against the hood (REMEMBER THE GAS TANK IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE BATTERY). We were extremely lucky! All my batteries are clamped down and I make sure that the brakes work and the kids can operate them effectively!

I just exchanged the battery (from Walmart) in my 7018H last night at Walmart (cost was $29.97). The reciept on the old battery read March 28, 1997 as the purchase date. I don't think 8 years is anything to complain about for a tractor battery, so I'll continue to use the Walmart brand. DaveM

Dave, When you say "exchange" do you mean they gave an allowance under the battery warranty or just the the core allowance of $5.00? Dan