Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
ehertzfeld

Axle question

ehertzfeld
I finally got around to changing the axle shaft on my 64 Landlord. Ok here is my question, is the right side hub suposed to turn on the shaft? Im trying before I put the hub into the diff. I had to use a hammer to pound it on the axle shaft. I didnt have to hit that hard but I did have to use a hammer. Also there is a C clip on the shaft, dose the hub go against it, or over it? I have the hub against it right now. When I try to put the retaining ring "the one at the end, with the set screws", It does not reach the axle shaft. It's like the shaft is too short. Any ideas? Thanks Elon

thedaddycat
Are you using an early axle shaft with the newer right side hub/gear assembly that doesn't have the traction control bolts? The newer hub is longer and you have to use the longer axle shaft with it. I have posted pics showing both shafts side by side before... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=18377&SearchTerms=3310+H

ehertzfeld
Kirk, it is an eary axle shaft. What the problem was I had the washer that goes against the C clip the wrong way. When I said it wasnt long enough, I should have given a measurement. It was off by a 16th of an inch or maybe less. Thanks bud