Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mott mower attempt #1

ehertzfeld

Worked great.....on paper! Unfortunetly the belt keep falling off. With no belt stops and the angle of pulleys as soon as I turned the engine over it threw the belt. Rob and I are going to see Dave "dlcentral". Nick is also going to stop by. He has a copy of that flyer, that he posted, for me. Hopefully that will give me another idea. Elon

Elon, from reading what's been posted I would guess that the springs(or at least one of them) are lift assist springs and not tensioner springs like we had talked about. You may also need to change the angle of the two hitch pulleys so they are aimed at the same vertical plane as the top and bottom edges of the input pulley on the mower... Take a look at the discussion about the differences between the blower hitches and those for the Weed and Brush Cutters, it may give you some more ideas or information...

Elon, one thing with the snow blower set up is that one of the pulleys is meant to run on the back side of the belt and therefor the pulley is a flat not a v-groove style.

Reed, I thought of that. I am wondering why/how this set up uses two V pulleys. Kirk, I have thought about this set up all day, I do think if I play with the angles it will work better, but I want to wait to see how it suposed to be set up. For all I know the original set up mite be easyer. Elon

The angle deffinitly looks off. The top of the pulleys looks about right but they have to be bent towards the pulley on the (field mower?brush hog?). Use a straight piece of 3/8 rebar or something to line up. The pulley's should be more like \/.

dont let the angles of the idler pulleys fool you. with a belt o nthem they do pitch in. I think some of the problem is that they pitch in too much. Elon

Change the angle of the pulleys also the return side pulley I would think should be a flat idler to run on the back side of the belt like the blower setup.

Another thing I see after looking at this some more, it seems like your springs are set up so as to loosen the idlers instead of keeping them tight. With the spring on one end, a pivot in the center and the pulley on the other end, the pulley would move opposite the spring force. If the springs were hooked to the pivot shafts they would act as lift assist springs. One other thing, how close to the front axle are the idlers? They should about line up with PTO pulley so the belt runs straight down to them before changing direction.

Kirk, with a belt in place, the belt just about runs staight down. Also with a belt on the arm pulls the amrs forward thus tightening up the springs. I did try to have the springs at the pivot, but I don't think I did it right. I sliped the springs into the holes for cotter pins, but with tention the spring kept fliping and lossing tention thowing the belt off. Elon

Elon, I notice You have the dual wheels on the back:). I am bidding on a set of spacers on ebay I hope to win.