Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Using a winch on these tractors to pull logs

Kent

I'm considering adding an electric winch to one of my tractors, since I'll be needing to snake some trees/small logs out of the woods. Who's used an electric winch on one of the tractors? Did you have problems with the 15 amp charging system keeping the battery charged up enough for quite a bit of use? How did you mount it? Ideally I'd be looking for a way that it could be easily moved from the front to the rear of the tractor.... I'm concerned about the traction of these 2WD drive tractors pulling logs on slopes -- but I figured if I put a winch on it, I could use the winch in situations where the tractor could not pull the log, and use it to get the tractor out, should I get it stuck.... I'm considering the Warn 4700 since it is on sale. Is this winch big enough to pull a 6" - 8" green pine log, up to 16-20 feet long? http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200197874&R=200197874 Am I dreaming about pulling this big of a log with these tractors? If so, I might need to get a bigger 4WD drive tractor, which would require me to thin out my collection -- which I'm obviously reluctant to do... I thought it would also be handy to have a winch to load dead parts tractors on my trailer... if I'm not just dreaming about using a B-series to pull small logs.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kent

• wasmeneh

• D-17_Dave

• bigcountry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about two tractors two driver one pulling the tractor one pulling the log together. Double the power to pull the log. Without have to spend $400.00 on a winch. Maybe spend the money on a little labor for someone or a family member.But first I'd go out and see if the tractor could pull one of the log to see if it can pull it. Just a thought my ramblings. Ken

might work if you have the right tires, ballast and ground conditions. if you have troubles with the charging, maybe add a separate battery?

quote:
Originally posted by KVANDY12
How about two tractors two driver one pulling the tractor one pulling the log together. Double the power to pull the log. Without have to spend $400.00 on a winch. Maybe spend the money on a little labor for someone or a family member.But first I'd go out and see if the tractor could pull one of the log to see if it can pull it. Just a thought my ramblings. Ken
Ken, The problem with experimentation is that I'm in Massachusetts and the land and logs are in Tennessee... :D I've successfully pulled over 500 lb rocks on a stone boat with my loader tractor (which would be the likely candidate), but I've not pulled logs... nor have I had to deal with too much of a slope.

That is a 40 pound winch. That is as much as some attachments and then you are looking to pull with it. I wouldn't doubt that it might work the tractors are quite tough, but I agree with mowingman you might end up pulling the tractor to the log with out ballast.

Oh, I'll have ballast on the tractor -- loader, loaded tires, wheel weights, weight box, etc. There will be plenty of trees to "wedge" the tractor behind. If necessary, I can even chain the tractor to another tree. One of my concerns is will a 4700 lb winch pull the tree -- I'm sure it can pull the rolling tractor... :D One of the thoughts about using the loader was I could drop the edge of the bucket at an angle and use that as an "anchor" since when the winch pulled against the tractor, it was pulling the bucket into the ground.... If that didn't work, I could always hook the winch up to a standing tree, using this universal mounting plate. [img]http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/additional_images/147000_1_lg.jpg[/img] I'm looking at possibly winching the trees up some of the steeper slopes, then hooking up to them and pulling them with the tractor. The tractor would simply be the mobile battery supply until I got the tree up to where I could pull it normally...

I have pulled logs with my 917. They were small in diameter about16 inches in diameter and probably 14 feet long. I didnt use weights or chains and if I started up hill and started spinning I would move the tractor to get them started moving again. How big are your logs?

I do know how much those little tractors will pull. As when I was younger we used the 3212v for pulling pine 12 inches and 16 feet long it was through flat land but had to go through a creek of about 6 inches deep. All we did was hook it to the lift and lift up the front of the log.Without anything on the front we did have to sit on the hood to steer. Chains helped alot Bob

I'll be clearing a house seat in the midst of a pine forest. Here's a link to pictures of it that show the slopes and some of the trees: http://simpletractors.com/subsite/saddleridge.htm I put the pictures/description up for my wife to review from Detroit, where she was visiting her terminally ill mother, prior to me submitting a contract. The realtor should be presenting my offer right now, and I hope to have a signed contract this afternoon, since both she and I have talked to the seller over the details. My brother (a retired logger/sawmill operator) will be cutting any worthwhile timber out, skidding the "real logs" that are worth sawing up, and loading them with his big 4WD Massey Ferguson. But, he won't deal with the tree tops and brush, nor will he do anything more for the smaller trees than cut them down... I'll have to do all the cleanup work. So, I'm guessing he'll haul out anything more than 10" - 12" or so, and I have to deal with the rest.

quote:
Originally posted by snapper1650
Dang that's some purty pictures! The south is calling you home...........
Yep, when I found this one, I fell in love. What more can you ask for than "lakefront" property in the mountains? It only took 30 years of working 2 jobs or working + going to school at night to make this happen... The current plan is to cut the timber and partially clear it this fall, then next year put in a 2-car garage with an 1-bedroom "in-law apartment" over it, and that becomes the vacation home while I get the lot ready to build the log house, some 5-7 years down the road... So, I'll have a place to store a tractor there and play on vacation! :D BTW, Billy Jack, that was my brother Lowell's daughter that you met on your trip...

Yeee-Hah! I just got a copy of the signed contract faxed to me! $49,500 for 5.3 acres with this much waterfront, a stream and over $5,000 worth of timber on it!

Kent, when the "Old Timers" logged with horses they were quite ingenious with their carts. Many of them had a way of lifting the front of the log off the ground, using the pull on the drawbar to raise it. I subscribe to FARM COLLECTOR Magazine which had an excellent article recently. If you can't find anything on a search, let me know and I could make a copy for you. Looks like you certainly will enjoy that pretty setting with your tractors. Our thoughts and prayers go to your family during this tough time.

Kent, Been there and done it but with a 4wd 18 HP Shibaura Tractor. The main issue is that the front of the log tends to dig in and you loose traction. Acken above has the right answer. You need to get the front end up so it doesn't dragg, Some kind of an A frame roller assembly should work. You will be surprized how heavy those logs can be, I spun my wheels and often would have to cut the logs shorter, Had about 8 or nine shagbark hickories blow down in a hurrican on some waterfront property I owned. Lots of work and my Shibaura has 4 wheel drive,pleanty of weight and a 3 point hitch, I think you'll really need something under the front of the log. Good Luck Mike

Nice looking property Kent, my brother and father live about 50 miles north of Bristol Tenn/Va in Marion, Virginia. That is some pretty country. My brother also has an A frame near Grandfather Mtn NC (near Boone). I made a small skid to lift up the front of the log using 2x6's. Mine was too tall and did not work well. It needed to be lower to get the front of the log up and keep a low center of gravity. I would next try angle iron. Good luck. John H

Kent, Have you lost your mind? ;);) Let me know sometime when you are down here (TN). It would be fun to try fishing on your stream. Call me if you ever happen to need any "local" help for whatever. Congrats,

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Kent, Have you lost your mind? ;);) Let me know sometime when you are down here (TN). It would be fun to try fishing on your stream. Call me if you ever happen to need any "local" help for whatever. Congrats,
I just might be "out of my mind" with happiness... it's been a long, tiring road to get back to the hills! :) Then, again, I might also be outta my mind to think of pulling trees with a FDT! :D Thanks guy, this input has been helpful. I may have to do some "shade tree engineering" to come up with something for the front of the logs. If I can get the tractor to it, I can likely use the loader to lift one end of the log far enough to get something under it....

Kent, Tie the winch directly to a tree to pull the log up the slope. Then lift the end of the log and tie it up off the ground when attaching to the hitch. This way 1/2 of the weight of the log will be on the back of the tractor. You may have to put some weight in the bucket to keep the front end down. Another way I have pulled heavy objects up a slope is to attach a pulley block to a tree at the top. Attach a rope to the log, run the rope thru the block then attach the rope to the tractor. Drive the tractor down the slope and the log will come up. This way gravity is helping you instead of working against you.

Kent, I have a 12,000# Ramsey winch on the front of my mud runner, it pulls 360 amps at full load. Even with 2 batteries it will still run them low. I know yours will be much a much smaller winch (but your charging systems smallar to) It might not keep up with the drain. There should be a rating on it to show amps/full load. I just know when you work a winch it shows the charging system who's boss.

I'd worry about the integrity of your transmission when pulling trees. Seems to me that it would put a lot of stress on the parts inside, and result in more wear faster.

Kent, I'm thinking of the line in the movie "Jaws" when the guy said; "You're gonna need a bigger boat". The property is beautiful but I'm guessing, and only guessing, that you're machine is going to be overmatched by the logging needs you seem to have, even with a winch. I'm not saying this is impossible, but may be more risk and work than it pays out (or is worth). I know that we have all pushed the limits of our tractors and have been impressed with thier abilities, but they are still only small and relatively light tractors. Remember your broken axle spinning in the mud? Or how about my broken transaxle, or how I damaged my Landlords BGB from plowing with too much weight on it and jamming the blade in other peoples driveways once in a while? Shame on me for saying but, you may want to consider thinning the heard and looking for something along the lines of an import 4x4. The guys before me are right by saying that you will have to have the front of the log raised or you'll go nowhere fast. I envision a worse case scenario where you do create a system by which you can get forward motion pulling the log up then lose traction. The winch may not be able to reel in as quickly as you drive (and you'll want to take advantage of forward momentum) and if you happen to be pulled backwards by the log I cringe thikning about what will happen to your tractor being grabbed and pulled from either end when the winch slack runs out and the downward force of the log "meet" your little tractor in the middle. Worser still, I worry the risk you take with a broken winch line. Only my devils advocate safety first thinking, maybe overboard but I know I don't heal like I used to. Best of luck with whichever you choose.

I was coming to the same conclusion -- that I'd be asking too much of my little tractors. I can't afford $15K - $20K for a new one. I actually stopped and looked at a used, low-hours Yanmar 4WD with loader on Sunday afternoon, but when I called on Monday it was already sold... The info on the winch may have even eliminated that option... I checked the on-line specs -- it says 300 amp, minumum.

Kent A 1500lb winch should pull what you want to pull so I wouldn't wory about a 4700lb one I have pulled 12" - 14" maple full length 60' tops and all with no trouble with the HB-116 you should not have a problem with the HB-216 A short hitch that lifts the log when pulled works best as this also puts weight on the rear wheels. When you get the winch get the trailer ball mount and hook the winch to your front/rear ball hitch.

Just for giggles, and for this thread, [:0] My neighbor across the street has a log, gave it to me a year ago to burn. Both of us are too lazy to cut it up. Its much larger than what you will be playing with, but the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow. I will take a chain and camera and "donate" a little tractor time to the cause and see what happens. I'll let you all know tomorrow night how it turns out. :D