Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan Governor

swede

Hello, Hopefully someone has some first hand knowledge on my problem. I pciked up a power max last fall that I knew would need a governor adjustment. Now that the weather is nicer, I have going through the tractor and fixing things. I looked at the governor only to find out it is not working. There is basically no pressure or movement on the linkage as it revs up. After a quick check of the manual, it looks easy enough to fix. My question, is there one particular part that wears out, or are all the parts suspect? I would like to get the parts I need before pulling the engine so I can get it fixed in a day. (I have some spring tilling coming up.) Before I get too excited about this, are parts like this still available? Thanks for you help, Lars

Hi Swede, I find a few things to look for; wear on the pivot screw or elongated hole where the throttle cable comes in (Onan # 150-1385 &6)& the gov spring is. Bent/worn gov spring. The ball & socket link is WAY out of adjustment. I usually start with the manual & go from there. All the machine are a little different. Hope that helps! Jim

Swede, Since you are talking about pulling the engine, I assume you are going to disassemble the engine to look at the internal parts. The manual covers what needs to be checked very well. I have only rebuilt a few and the only problem I have seen was some of the flyballs were missing on an engine that had been previously rebuilt!! It's hard to say what parts you will need but most should still be available.

Like JimS suggests, ya never know the who's & why's of how the engines were put back together. Most of them are now 30 years old now, a LONG time in tractor years! (LOL) I set things up as the factory recommends (they set it up originally) then adjust. Let us know what you find (or DON'T find...) & we can help!

Thanks for the info. I will check the linkage to make sure it has not been "customized" I was hoping there was a common problem that could have been fixed with duct tape or something.(LOL) If the problem is not external, I will probably not pull the engine out for a few weeks - I have some old hit and miss engines I need to put back together for a swap meet coming up in 3 weeks. I'll just do my tilling next week with the tractor as is. Once I do get to it, I will let you know what I found.