Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SEEN ONE OF THESE YET??

dlcentral

One of a kind track-ster! can be made to fit any mach with 3/4 axle,in 20 min.it can be changed back to wheel drive!Gonna build skis for front axle next yr!:o):o)

We made it,, took a Sears trac drive unit off a snowthrower and it fits right on! Only thing to do is drill 2 -1/4" holes in axles for drive sprocket.Kinda tough though cause they are hardned.So sorry Elon its now back to wheel drive!,,

Great minds think alike. :) I was thinking about the same thing as I've got both a B-206 (3/4-inch axle) and a Sears track drive snowblower. Was planning to use this combination during winter when I'm snowthrowing...instead of turf tires and chains.

:( However, I could never figure out how to handle the problem of gear reduction---there is too much of it. The original wheel/tire is going to move along the ground "pie x diameter (15-inches to 18-inches)" for each revolution. The new drive sprocket will do the same, only it is 3-inches in diameter---a 1/5 (3"/15") or 1/6 (3"/18") reduction in the distance traveled per revolution. The new 3-inch drive spocket turns a 6-inch driven sprocket---another 1/2 (3"/6") reduction in the distance traveled. The total gear reduction [distance traveled] will be between 1/10 (1/5 * 1/2 = 1/10) and 1/12 (1/6 * 1/2 = 1/12). Since my top speed is now about 3 mph, my highest new speed possible (without adding in some gear step-up) would be 3 mph * 1/10 = .3 mph. :( From what I've read here from the snowthrowing experts, you have to keep moving to keep the auger full to prevent the snowthrower chute from plugging; and .3 mph would not seem to be enough. :( Bummer! It's such a cool idea...no more turf tires and putting on chains. Any way, I'm still looking for a broke track drive snowthrower so I can rob the needed parts to play with this idea; but I don't want to take my Sears apart as I've been encouraging some neighborhood kids to use it. I'm trying to work myself out of a job. :) Maybe I could make a slow-speed scout tractor---to use to supervise the kids using my Sears snowblower. Be sure to tell us how you make those front skiis. :D Other than that, I've been stumped on this project by the need for the 10/1 step-up gearing system...for each track. (Added) I've just seen the "Drive your tractor to work?" post, http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46934 , which talks about changing the pulleys before the transaxle to give a tire-driven lawn speed of 24-28 mph. Wow! This could be the solution to the problem and let us use the tracks with a snowthrower. Should give a track-driven snow speed of 2.4 mph. :D Wonder how this would affect the wear of the transaxle? Wonder if the track drive unit would be able to handle the heavier load of a tractor and snowthrower? The original Sear snowblower weights only about 150 lbs. /r David

Very nice looking setup.You will have lower ground pressure with that on the back ,when in soft ground.Like when rolling the yard,it would work great.