Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Will a working s/g run headlights w/o a battery?

Orange

I know that this may be an easy question for many of you to answer, but will a properly working starter-generator on a cast iron 10hp Briggs run two front headlights without a battery in the circuit? I haven't tried it yet, but want to determine if the s/g is charging or not. By the way, is there a fool proof way to test to see if the s/g is good or not? I have a multi-meter, but don't know enough about electronics to put it to use. Thanks for humoring me.

Hi, Start the engine and connect your voltmeter set to DC Volts check the voltage across the battery. Next connect the meter to the A terminal of the SG and the other lead to ground. Check the voltage with the engine wide open. If the voltage is 13 to 14 volts it is charging. If it is not and about the same as the battery was or less, then take a screwdriver or a clip lead and ground the F terminal. If this makes the voltage come up to around 13 volts up, the voltage regulator is not working and the starter gen is good. Al Eden

The S/G will run the load of the lights, however, the old style regulator reqiures a bat. in the system to stabilize the regulator. without a bat. the regulator reads no voltage and goes to full charge. Often increaseing the chargeing voltage and blowing some electrical devices. I've had this happen. Wouldn't reomend it. I would at least put a small motercycle bat. in it or something small to stabilize the regulator.

A 12 volt dc motor is a reactive load, and fools the regulator into thinking it is connected to a battery. so just for fun connect a battery and a motor, start the engine and disconnect the battery, the motor should keep running. But Al's method is better for really finding out what is wrong.

Thank you for all of the information. I am taking good notes and will try all suggestions tomorrow morning. Please keep the info coming. I know this is easy for many, but I'm glad this is a good place to ask "easy" questions and in return get nothing but great answers.