Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Step 2 of skidding logs: What's it worth?

Kent

No, this isn't an April Fools joke... I'm seriously considering selling off my Simplicity loader, and buying an old 4WD compact tractor with loader. For example, I've looked at an old Yanmar and a couple of little Fords (non-grey market). What is my Simplicity 515 loader worth, mounted on my Big Ten? Here's the loader: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/loader_1.jpg[/img] There's plenty more pictures of the loader at: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32113 And here, with measurements: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38075 Here's the Big Ten: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/johnny_box/bucket_down_small.jpg[/img] There's many other pictures of the Big Ten, including when it was being put together, at: http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/2_into_1.htm Here, when it was freshly put together at: http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/big_ten_deluxe.htm There's some scratches, wear and tear since then. It has a 1989 replacement Briggs 243431 with Magnetron ignition, high-low and hydraulic lift (the lift cylinder leaks, but the pump is good, and it works well). It has the Chen Shen lug tires on the back, loaded with WW fluid and 40-lb Bolens wheel weights and the 4:80 x 8 tri-ribs on the front that show on the 2012 pictures above. The only other thing that's different from the pictures is that I had to put the aftermarket headlights (halogen) on it from the 2012/loader because the "big, bug-eye" ones wouldn't clear the loader arms... So, what do you think it would be worth? I really don't have a clue, since I've assembled bits and pieces and spent not a few $$ (new sewn, pleated seat from Sandy Lake, Wells decal set, etc.) turning it into what it is... I'd just like to have some idea of what it's going to cost to move to a 4WD tractor. This is the best compromise solution I can come up with, since my HB-216 is now Eli's and I don't want to sell the nice 3112V that I just bought last summer...

kent if you really mean it don't buy a compact tractor loader for work in the woods they will hardly do more than the Simplicity. Buy a Cletrack OC3 or OC4 or a JD 420 or 430 crawler loader. they work better lift more have Hyd. outlets and with the correct pads you can drive through the woods and no one will ever know you were there. A good small crawler is the step up from what you have a old 20 HP compact is just a step sideways. The exception would be if you could find a Holder used they are a true 4WD articulated and one tuff small skidder. My opinion for what its worth. John

Not sure what it's worth but I know my boss just picked up a Yanmar 336 with loader and a 5ft brush hog for $10,000. He should get it in a few weeks. The dealer is doing a few things to it before delivery. I havent seen it yet but I guess it has not that meny hours and a 36hp 3cyl diesel. The first thing were going to do to it is paint the hood and some of the tin, and mabey the loader. I'll get some pic's as soon as it gets to his house. Elon

I'm looking to find something that I can leave there most of the time. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a 4WD tractor that'll sit for all but about 3 weeks a year. Yet I need something that'll get more traction than I can get with 2WD without diff-lock. For the "heavy lifting", I'd be much better off hiring it done. I'm planning on having someone put in the driveway, septic (license is required, for one thing), deal with the stumps, dig footers, etc. In addition to him dealing with the big timber, I also have at least some access to my brother's big 4WD Massey with loader, and my friends 35 (??) HP 4WD Kioti, but I don't want to pester them to death, and continually borrow and haul them either....

Oh yeah the Yanmar is 4wheel drive too. He wanted somthing to haul/dig stuff around the house, mow his field, and for the winter is duty will be up in Foxboro MA to help in snow removal. We are in charge of plowing Xtra lease trailer's yard. Im not sure of the acerage, but one of the yards hold over 100 50ft trailers. For the past couple of years, we have only used a pick up with a plow, so with the addition of the loader, we should be all set for next year. Elon Elon

Thats a tough one Kent. I guess it would depend on finding the right buyer. I would say no less than $1500 to $2000, maybe more. $2500 to me if I could afford it, but I can't. They seem to range so drastically depending on who what and where. I've seen loaders go on ebay $1500 plus with no tractor, and I've seen them given away, family member to family member. (not my family though) :( I know of a Cub Cadet with loader, I asked about it, $700. My brother in law asked about the same tractor $2500. Guess that seller didnt like my brother in law [:0] I also know of another, also on a CC, with mower deck, ready to use, that went for $1500 and the guy that bought it thought it was a little steep. ??? By the way, he used it a whole summer with no repairs and resold it for the same price. My best suggestion would be to decide your MINIMUM, and try ebaying it, at that price or a little more. Or run an ad in the classifieds. Either way, you have to decide for sure if it is for sale, and only you can make that decision. Personally, and this is only my opinion, I would take it down there for the first "work session" and see what it will do, then decide. I'm guessing your not going to leave anything there the first time, as there will be no storage for it yet. My bet is, your first "work" trip won't get much accomplished anyway, other than experimenting, planning, looking, measureing, checking, deciding, replanning, looking again, and so on. ;) Being as the property is so far away, your bound to make at least one "wasted trip", no offense :D How many times would you have "just driven over to look" already if the place was only 20 minutes away ? Another thing to keep in mind, and I'm sure you thought of that, is if you buy something used, how trustworthy is it going to be ??? Where will you be better off, 1) spending half your time repairing something you know little about or 2) working twice as long doing half the work with something you know and trust. ?? Also the idle time. With something else sitting there for for near a year, how much hassle is it going to be to get it ready to work once you get there? With the exception of a possible carb clean, that B will be ready to work. One other point, the bigger your equipment, the bigger equipment you will need to get it out when you get it stuck, and just how much "space" will you have in the woods for all that bigger stuff? These are just my thoughts and opinions, take it for what its worth. ;);):D:D

Dan, Thanks for your honest input. We'll see... My concern is traction, more than anything. I know what 10 - 16 HP will do if you can get traction. A small one with 4WD and diff-lock is what I'm thinking. I'd love to have a new Kubota BX, Agco/Massey GC, or somthing that size, but I can't rationalize $15K or more for something that'll get so little use. I don't need a mower, tiller, etc. -- I have the best already with those implements -- and they're Simplicity orange.

Kent, if you check around for a small full size utility tractor like a Massey Ferguson 135 ( its an older model ) but plenty popular, it will do all the work you want, great for bush hogging, add a full sized loader or back hoe, and when you are done with it, you can probably sell it for what you paid for it, if not more. I have a MF 65 and am amazed the tight spots I can get around and the work that it does. They are a lot less expensive than the 4wd compacts and will do more work. The other thing to consider is that you will want to get as much work done in the time you have there and a tractor like the MF 135 will do it much faster than the compacts. Here is a picture of one, (not mine) :(

And here is a link to the current pricing on this type of tractor. http://www.ytmag.com/atrp/values/masseyval.htm Just my 2 cents worth, which today won't get you a thing:)

Mike, Thanks! I've spent lots of hours on a MF 135, and know what they're capable of... I learned to drive on a Ford 8N, then we moved up to an MF 135 (that my brother-in-law still owns). I'm not sure what size Massey my brother, the logger, has. It's a 4WD, with a loader that'll lift over 2,000 lbs and put it on his truck. I'm looking for something smaller, to get in between the trees with...

Kent, Check this Deutz out on Ebay. Looks like it would be perfect. You could add a Koyker loader for another $2500. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=91953&item=7504896100&rd=1 Mike And it's an Allis TOOOOOOOOO.

Well -- I went in a slightly different direction, less expensive and a lot closer to home (under 150 miles)... but it's a B-series, it's orange, it matches my trailer, and it's almost an FDT... not sure it would really qualify for an RBT. :D [img]http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/50/87/c5_1_b.JPG[/img] http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7503845044 This is the original Kubota 4WD that started it all -- and it's not gray-market, it's US spec. They're still not as expensive as some old compacts because their rear PTO turns backwards for some reason, and PTO driven 3-pt attachments for it are hard to find. But, I'll be using a yard-box or ballast box on the back anyway.

Kent, I dont know what its worth, but if you decide to sell the red Simplicity with the loader I would be interested in it. With or without the tractor. Please let me know. Thanks

My neighbor had one of those little kubotas. I told him when he got ready to sell it Id take it. One day it disappeared, I ask him where it went, he sold it. I was plenty mad. To bad you cant keep all of your tractors. ddh

Kent, First think is build some ROPS for it. Like I said about your land things can get hairy real quick while moving on uneven ground. Mike

Mike, Kubota's site has a "special coupon" for the ROPS and seatbelt for $148.00 -- I'll have to check with the local dealer and see if he'll honor that coupon and special price. If not, suggested cost for the ROPS and mounting kit is $380... how's that for a markup :D?? But, I have the info for their regional manager, just in case. My thought was at this price, if I find out the tractor is simply too small for what I want to do, I likely won't have lost much on the transaction... it'd be about as small to get into the woods with as my FDTs. It's about the same size as my long-wheelbase ones (B-210/216 or 3112V), about 400 lbs heavier, 4WD and heavier duty. Though I haven't seen it (pick it up tomorrow afternoon) it's supposed to have diff-lock also, in addition to a stronger loader (500 lbs vs 350). These things are little -- here's a picture from Australia that I found on the web.

The last thing I wanted to do was bust another axle tube or BGB when I was on vacation, playing, and 900 miles away from my supply of parts tractors... That may sound like "heresy" to some, but I've found the limits of the little ones I love, and I think this is better suited to what I need to do... That said, it won't be mowing my lawn, nor will it likely ever be tilling my garden, and I don't need a snowblower in Tennessee... ;) My current loader tractor is a "dedicated machine" and I expect this one to be also.

Sweet Kubota, Kent. My brother has a Yanmar 3 cyl diesel, 4WD, Gawdawful green, with loader and backhoe. What a workhorse. I ran it a good bit when I was landscaping my new home. I had to rent a tractor/backhoe a few times for a few weekends during the same project. A local Kubota dealer had one I used a few times that was probably one size bigger than yours. I was very impressed with it (it helped that the machine had only 20 or so hours on it.) It was definately quality goods, though. And a lot of fun to use. Good Luck with it. Tacey

Looks like you have a candidate for one of my power steering convertions. You won't love it long with the weight of that bucket on the front or the rough terain long. But those are nice little tractors. I have a good friend close that has one like it or simular. Tough little tractors.

Kent , Those little Kubotas are very nice little tractors.They should be able to do the small stuff you need done.Use your brothers tractor for the big stuff.It is still orange so you have a nice tractor either way.

Well, this was a surprise post too read, take it your moving to Tenn Kent? When is this too happen? Nice find on the old Kubota. There's one of those here in Tok I been tring to buy for about 15 years but the guys too well off to ever need too sell it. What did you have to pay for that out there? if you don't mind saying. As far as selling yours goes, I've thought before, it be nice to have an on site auction for guys wantting to sell to club members and give all a fair shot at buying it. Would that be possible to set up?

Marty, I'm just trying to clear off a lot I bought for retirement, hopefully in 5 - 7 more years. See the first post that talks about it: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46925 I paid $3750 on eBay for the Kubota. Seems ALL tractors are more expensive in the Northeast... I wonder how it'd work to have a private auction on eBay, and only allow in club members who've identified themselves that way... I've never tried a private auction.

To my knowledge, an ebay private auction only keeps the bidders identity hidden from the general public. I don't think you can generally descriminate against who bids, unless you want to block every available bidders id other than club members. ;) I don't think any of us will live long enough to block that many bidders [:0][:0]

There is a used tractor dealer here (Hartman Farm Machinery). He had an add in the paper with some of the little compact tractors listed for around 3500. I drive by there everyday on the way to work and keep an eye out for orange (although I think if I bring another tractor home I'll be sleeping in the dog house). I know there are several kubotas and one of those lime green tractors (not a deere), its 4wd. You'll enjoy living in the southland again. Looks like a nice place. Welcome back.

Dan, I guess I was using the wrong term. It's not called a private auction, it is called a "pre-approved biddere's list" -- see this eBay help topic: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/preapprove_bidders.html Sounds like it would allow the seller to limit the auction to only club members, if they wanted to do it this way. They'd still have to individually verify that someone is a club member, before they were placed on the bidder's list.

That would do it. Still sounds like a lot of work though, approving each bidder when the email comes in.