Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Brought this home yesterday...

AC808

Bought this near Cottage Grove, WI. It was resting comfortably in someones yard for the past year. The guy i bought it from said 'the starter belt broke so i parked it and went and bought a new mower'. LOL In his garage he now has a rear engine Yardmachine. So, this came home with me! I put new gas in it, battery, cranked on it and she fired right up. Minimal smoke and no noise...sounds great! It also came with a deck, not pictured. Its quite rotten, wondering if i should find a deck and keep it for mowing OR change some pulleys and make a racer out of it...what do you guys think?

Jay got this for nothing, but it had bad engine, along with mower deck. Got engine rebuilt and now use it to chase here and there, It was either dumpster or trying to get it to run. I chose second option.

Nice save. But be caefull of raceing those center pivot models. Thay might get a little tippsy about 20MPH.lol

Jay, the 1966 model 60 is Deere's first venture into RLM's as opposed to garden tractors. Mower, snow blower, blade chains and chrome hub cabs is about all that was offered. Was only a 6 HP machine. Mine now has a 7HP. What is unique is the engine has a cast iron block not uncommon but there weren't that many vertical shaft engines bult that way. 23,000 were built in 4 seasons. S/N of mine is 14,001. First look at things would make you that is was built from certain left big tractor parts. Dave about 8 MPH is about all you'll see without throwing a rod.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Jay, the 1966 model 60 is Deere's first venture into RLM's as opposed to garden tractors. Mower, snow blower, blade chains and chrome hub cabs is about all that was offered. Was only a 6 HP machine. Mine now has a 7HP. What is unique is the engine has a cast iron block not uncommon but there weren't that many vertical shaft engines bult that way. 23,000 were built in 4 seasons. S/N of mine is 14,001. First look at things would make you that is was built from certain left big tractor parts. Dave about 8 MPH is about all you'll see without throwing a rod.
The original plan for the JD 60/70 series lawn tractors was to have a horizontal shaft engine. They were planning on using the Kohler K-161 in the 60 and have the K-181 as base in the 70 and as an option in the 60. The 60 and 70 were not produced simultaneously. The 60 stopped production in '69 I believe and was replaced by the 70. The 60 has the Tecumseh VH-60 while the 70 has the Tecumseh VH-70.

If you do use the broadmoor for mowing it should do a good job. I used a 36" deck from a broadmoor on my AC Homesteader8 and it cut better than any of my 42" decks for my large frame tractors.

The smaller Simplicitys are as cute as anything.I like them as much as i like the bigger models.You came home with a nice find.

My Broadmoor and Serf are a blast to tool around the yard on while mowing. And they both are like mowing with a push mower with their tight turning raduis. Only thing, my push mower has a 6hp briggs and the Serf has a 5hp briggs. Go figure. I gotta push the big 6hp but i get to ride the little 5....lol. Needless to say, the push mower wont get used much this season since the cutting swath is only a couple inches bigger on the Serf.

Since the chassis pivots, you could come up with some way to make it rigid, but adjustable. That way you could jack the weight around for better handling on an oval, huh??