Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
ridgerunner

Wore out front axle pivot

ridgerunner
Went out to work on the wrecker part of the Big-Ten,Was going to connect the two subframes togather (just to make everyone happy)LOL And when I was under there noticed the axle pivot hole was hoged-out. So pulled front axle off and this is what I seen. 40 years of working against each other tends to ware them down a bit I reckon. Laid down a pass or two of weld, smoothed things down and put things bach togather. Put a good coat of grease on all the pivoits and contact surfaces. Should last a good long time. Now to get back to that subframe part of the day. (Paul)

JoeJ
Paul, One word of caution. Depending on what wire or rods you welded that up with, it will most likely be a lot harder than before. You'll most likely see the wear go to the other parts now, instead of the pin. Joe

ridgerunner

First I built up the shaft with weld. then took a washer for a 1/2" bolt chucked it in the lathe and ran a 3/4" core drill through it for a gage. then ground down the shaft with a grinder, then a 80 grit flap-wheel so the washer (gage) would slide over the shaft. then finally sanded with the third grinder fitted with a scotch bright pad. The angle was in just as bad of shape. so I filled in the oblonged hole completely, ground it smooth and bored a new 3/4" hole in it. Slapped it all together with grease and called it good. PS> I did finish connecting the sub-frames together on the wrecker part of it. (so everyone can sleep easy now) LOL (Paul)

ridgerunner
John, its a 1952 South Bend heavy 10 (10 L). 10" swing over, 48" bed with a 1.25 through hole. 110 volt. Use it once in a while, comes in real handy in the garage. -Paul