Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wore out front axle pivot

ridgerunner

Went out to work on the wrecker part of the Big-Ten,Was going to connect the two subframes togather (just to make everyone happy)LOL And when I was under there noticed the axle pivot hole was hoged-out. So pulled front axle off and this is what I seen. 40 years of working against each other tends to ware them down a bit I reckon. Laid down a pass or two of weld, smoothed things down and put things bach togather. Put a good coat of grease on all the pivoits and contact surfaces. Should last a good long time. Now to get back to that subframe part of the day. (Paul)

Looks good. The later Bs had a bushing welded to the rear angle iron support. They still wore but not as bad. Nice craftsmanship,Matt

Paul, One word of caution. Depending on what wire or rods you welded that up with, it will most likely be a lot harder than before. You'll most likely see the wear go to the other parts now, instead of the pin. Joe

Ok how did you get is so round.Iknow that it will not fit in most lathes. Last time I did one I put a bushing in and hope to never redo it again.Bob

First I built up the shaft with weld. then took a washer for a 1/2" bolt chucked it in the lathe and ran a 3/4" core drill through it for a gage. then ground down the shaft with a grinder, then a 80 grit flap-wheel so the washer (gage) would slide over the shaft. then finally sanded with the third grinder fitted with a scotch bright pad. The angle was in just as bad of shape. so I filled in the oblonged hole completely, ground it smooth and bored a new 3/4" hole in it. Slapped it all together with grease and called it good. PS> I did finish connecting the sub-frames together on the wrecker part of it. (so everyone can sleep easy now) LOL (Paul)

John, its a 1952 South Bend heavy 10 (10 L). 10" swing over, 48" bed with a 1.25 through hole. 110 volt. Use it once in a while, comes in real handy in the garage. -Paul