Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

620 Diesel

D-17_Dave

I made some progress today. I didn't have to stretch the frame, just notch it out in a few places. It's bolted down solid. Just got to get a drive pulley for the crank made and convert the PTO shaft to fit and move the clutch for alignment.:( Yea, I know it wouldn't be an over night thing, but I'm really pleased with the progress so far. I've seen gas engine convertions that took more than this to do.;)

Where are you going to mount the radiator? Looks like you got your work cut out for you, wish I could play with a diesel.....hmmmmm I have been trying to get one of the Dr.'s at the University Shops to surplus a Yanmar 3 cyl. diesel engine. I don't know what kind of progress I've made with that though.

Right behind the grill. Bat. will go up where the fuel tank was. I guese the fuel tank will go in my pocket.lol

Hey thats not right.You didnt call me to come and help you.LOL Well maybe later i could help you more on it.Tony

You live 20 minuets away and you need an invite?? What's wrong with this picture. BTW, I got my fork ready.lol

Glad to see you have it in place.Hope you get the pulley made soon & get it up running.Will be neat to see a 620 diesel.Allis chalmers should have put a diesel in the 620 & 720 to begin with.

Really nice looking job and tractor, even if it is only a 616 or is it a 628D now?

Been thinking on new decals. I think Simplicity had a 628 didn't they? We might have to go with a 630D.Of course we have to allow for the turbo at some point.lol

I'll put a small cooler in behind the rad. and use an electric fan for cooling. With the larger alt. power won't be an issue.

• 1 year later...
i like your thinking . also wanting to repower 616 . i have a lombardini out of a 720 . but cant get much input on how good of engine it is outside that they are very exspenseve to get parts for .any input would be much apreceated .

Barry Welcome to the club. I have a Simplicity 7790 with a Lombardini 790cc 18½hp Diesel that has over 5000 hrs on it. The only problem I have had is one injector and I replaced both of them. These engines have been used for years because of there dependability to power refrigeration units on reefer trailers. I believe the biggest reason for problems in these tractors is lack of home owner maintenance. Mine has not been babied but it has been maintained correctly. The only maintenance is change the oil with a good grade diesel oil, I use synthetic, clean the oil filter and change fuel and air filter. This tractor has only been used as a snow blower tractor The mower deck has never been on it and the snowblower has never been off except for repairs. Dave looks good so far.

That looks GREAT!! Looks almost like it was made for that tractor.Very Little notching form the pics too. Gonna be a nice one for sure!8D I take it the hood clearance isnt going to be a problem either? Maynard, are parts expensive for those??Who stocks them ? Sure wouldbe nice to have around for sure! EDIT: Never mind on the where.:I I see that they must have been in some Simplicitys so id assume a dealer would have or could get parts.

I've made more progress on this project since these pics were taken but with my camera down I haven't snapped any shots. I 'm waiting on my local machine shop to finish the last shaft need to hook up the power train and I hope to resume this soon. It's been awhile since I've made any real progress on this project. Since I started this I went to work for myself and side projects haven't had much service. I can tell you this, before you start cutting stuff up Look at the project as a whole. Get some referance points for things like the pto and figure out how your going to use evrything you want. Once you find these points then start trimming away. There has been lots of thought go into this project to date and I'm far from finished. But I'm closer than I was when I started.lol

Dave, I just noticed somehting,I think I see a water pump on there??. Those engines water cooled then? Thats another problem to be resolved then. radiator and such I mean.

HI Roy,That a Kabota engine.Blu it is a water pump.I think he has found a rad that he is going to use.Didnt mean to answer your ?'s Dave.

Thanks Tony,8D Boy,I could see where mounting and such might be a real problem with that. Be intersting to see how all this works out and what problems he encounters when its all done.8D

The exhaust doesn't have to come out the front, so that might free up some space for a radiator.

I've got the rad. and such already. Going to be useing a shoe horn to stuff that 28 HP engine in there but my goal to start with was to not stretch the frame so all factory attachments could be use without any modifications later. Obviously useing an air cooled engine would elliminate a lot of problems but there's no way I was going to all this trouble for an odd engine that would be hard to get parts for. This is a very common engine so parts should be easy to find. Jeremy your right about the exhaust. I'm looking at a Chrome pipe out the hood like the XT190's.

No plans for dampeners right now. Ive had the engines running on the floor with just wood blocks for support and they run-out real nice. With the solid frames of the tractor I think it will run smooth without them. Sometimes I think allowing the engine to flop around just compounds the problem.

;)Dave, ;)No hack job there!!! Very nice. But then you already know my thoughts on guys wearin bibs;).:D BTW, after having my back surgery, my Oshkosh be gosh were the only comfortable thing to wear. No belt loops or anything under the stinkin medieval torture device back brace;).