Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Deck Bearings

pbrenner70

When replacing the mower deck bearings, do you need a bearing press? or do they just come off when you take the pulley nuts off?

It depends on whitch deck your refering to. Most small decks when you remove the pulley or drive sheave addapter you must remove the half moon key from the shaft and the shaft will fall out of the bearings. Or you can use a press or a brass drift to drive the shaft through the bearings. The drive out the bearings out of the houseing.

I needed a press for both decks(42" and 48") for my 6216's. Was not difficult but I did have to bring them into work to use the press.

I usually buy the bearings and shaft as one unit. Makes replacement a lot easier if you dont have a press. ddh

Well, I found out today. I didnt need a press. Once you remove the nuts on top of the pulleys and remove the pulleys, the shafts pull right out. I ordered new bearings from SEPW and the rebuild will begin as soon as they arrive. I also ordered a new pressurized sand blaster and paint gun so I can spruce it up a bit.