Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Late B10 throttle/governor need help

Brent_Baumer

Trying to the this late B10 going. Solve my spark and no fuel at all problem. It will start and run erratically now for about 30 seconds then die. It will occasionally idle ok for a minute or two then die. It will also only run with full choke no matter how rich I make the high and low speed mixtures to try to open the choke. Problem: The throttle will not open all the way. It physically cannot. The governor lever cannot travel far enough up to make the butterfly open all the way. The lever can go further down than what the idle screw will allow it to. Moving the throttle lever (making the springs extend or contract) does nothing. Even with the springs nearly all contracted the governor lever is practically has high as it can phyically go. This is how it was when I got this machine a few weeks ago. Should I loosen the lever nut and pull the lever up until the butterfly is all the way open? If so, does the governor shaft need to be turned all the way one direction or the other while I do this like on a Kohler? I am pretty certain the springs and linkages are in the proper holes and routed properly. I have checked in my Briggs book and also see no other way for the linkages to go. Question - I am familiar with governor adjustment on Kohlers when the shaft gets "spun" for a lack of a better term, are briggs similar?

Your onto the problem Brent, I think. Turn the governor shaft full clockwise, then tighten the nut on the arm.

Posted in an earlier post by AL: Hi, The way they teach it at the Briggs school, Forget about clockwise or counter clockwise. [Assuming the correct carb] Just take the governor arm and move it in the direction that opens the carb wide open. Holding the arm so the carb is wide open, loosen the bolt on the arm and turn the governor shaft in the same direction the arm rotated when opening the carb. When the shaft hits the stop, tighten the bolt while the carb is wide open. Same with Kohler. Much simpler than trying to remember cw or ccw. Remember the governor weights must be held in when the carb is wide open and then they work against the spring to control the speed. Also if the engine is hunting, to determine if it is the carb or the governor, turn in the idle stop screw and hold the carb shaft against the idle stop. If the engine idles OK, then run the stop screw in more and hold it against the stop. If it runs good at mid speed with the throttle shaft fixed it is a governor problem. If the engine is erratic with the throttle shaft fixed, it is a carb problem. Personally I just hold the shaft by hand, but in school they teach using the screw for a stop. Good luck, Al Eden I hope Al doesn`t get upset for me posting this ever so often. I have this saved in a folder on my computer for a reference when ever I need it.

Got it figured out. Had to turn the shaft screw ccw. This solved the full open problem but creates a no-idle problem. Had to remove one of the springs on the governor lever to overcome that. The spring looks too short to me as compared to the 16hp briggs I have. Got it running pretty good up to about 3/4 throttle then it sputters a bit and seems too fast to me. Have to get the tach out - or just drop the #$%@@#! thing off in my brother's yard and let him figure the rest out. Told him I'd sell it to him for what I have in it, which is right now about 4 hours, a brand new battery ignition system, 4 carb dissassemblies and a fat lip where I accidently punched myself trying to pull off a spring with some needle nose. Thanks for the suggestions and help. Brent